Possible telogen effluvium, page 6 Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Other Hair Loss Problems » Possible telogen effluvium, page 6 « Previous Next »

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a new page to post comments and questions on this topic.

Sartoux
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI TOM:

Went to the doctor today--asked about the zinc and copper--apparently there was no question that if one is taking zinc, copper should be looked at as well. Before giving it to me, however, they want to check my copper levels--not that i understood, but the idea is not to have too much copper

we also discussed that, in relation to zinc, other things that should be checked are: iron, mercury and cadmium.

Soooo, off to do another heavy metal screen. Thanks for opening up the discussion.

We also discussed: Oxidize 5-Alpha Reductase, and the fact that one of the aims of the Regenix products was to rendering it inactive. As a result, it was suggested that i should take GLA, which acts in to this same manner--and i was told to triple the dosage i now take--what info do you have on this?

As for the liver: you said 'beef' liver: why beef instead of calf? and if it will help to absorb the iron, i am up for anything--even 3x's a week

Sartoux

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sartoux:

Beef and calf - they're both equally good.

I would prefer GLA to Regenix. Evening primrose oil softgels is a good natural source; black currant oil softgels is even better. I get the latter from Puritan's Pride but I'm sure other companies like Swanson are good too. Stay away from the small companies though.

Sart oux
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

Also now taking liver extract-- in additon to 5 GLA's a day and the dreaded liver at least 2 X's.

My chiropractor indicated that he read that there is a connection between low zinc levels and DHT? Have you heard that?

Sartoux

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sartoux:

Too much or too little zinc can cause hair loss. That's why I think a diet rich in zinc is better than getting this trace mineral from a pill. (brewer's yeast, whole grain products, many high protein foods)

I've seen reports of topical zinc preparations that inhibit DHT in the skin of the scalp. Zix is one of these preparations. Look up zix on the Internet.

Scott
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Tom.

Hereís the scoop. Sorry it's so lengthy, I just need to share this with someone, my dermatologist wont listen.

I'm a male, 19 problems recently. About 6 months ago (July) my hair was thick, well thicker than it is now. In September I noticed my hair line has started to recede a little bit but not to much. My hairline has always been high on my head. At first it seemed to be thinning just on the top, but from closer inspection plus the words from my mother and girlfriend, the sides are just as thin as the top. Also where my cowlick is on the back of my head is the thinnest area. Not just the top back area, but starting from that area all the way down to my mid ear area seems to be much thinner than the rest. Ugh, thin and lifeless. My fathers side has balding, but I do not take after them in anyway.. I hardly resemble my father. My father himself had thick full hair until he was about 30 years old (he took acutance when he was around 30).. Everyone on my mothers side has a full head of hair.. I talked to my fathers grandparents and uncles and they all said they started to thin out in there mid thirties, never at my age.. Even the baldest male (fathers uncle) claims not until he was 30 did he have thinning.

I am very confused by this... I am looking at pictures of my hair from October/November 2004 last year.. Full, thick, no recession, nothing. Now, here is the tricky part. I am looking at my football pictures from high school (September 2003, I was 17 years old at this time), and pictures from new years 03/04 there is slight recession. Almost exactly the same as now, but not as thin. So I tried to find some more pictures from April/May 2005.. NO recession, and my hair was thicker then ever.. My girlfriend had been straightening & dyeing my hair , practicing styles for beauty school. She says my hair has changed drastically from April/May to now... If it is MPB, why did it come so suddenly? I noticed a lot of hairs falling out in the shower around mid summer. But now, the normal 50-70 per day.. I am not experiencing any more abnormal hair loss..

Now. I did some studying and this is where Telogen Effluvium comes in.. I read that medications, poor eating habits, severe emotional stress, loss of weight can all cause this type of hair loss. So I ponder back about 3 or four months trying to think if anything that could have caused this. Well, hereís the kicker.. I was on a antibiotic called Doxycylcine for my mild acne. I was on the medication for a month and I started experiencing heavy side effects.. Which included, chills, fever, night sweats, numbness in hands and feet, Oral thrush (yeast) & genital lesions. I know scary stuff for an acne medication.. At the time I didnít know that such a medication had these side effects. I began searching for a possible cause for these side effects. Well I fell upon something we all know, HIV/AIDS. HIV has all the same exact symptoms I was having, and at the time I never thought an antibiotic could cause all these harsh side effects.. I'm sort of a hypochondriac, so.. I had myself pretty convinced that I had HIV. Me and my girlfriend of 2 years had a breakup and I slept with a girl after this had happened. With my luck of course, the condom broke. On top of the HIV, I though I had this girl pregnant. Shortly after, I was back with my girlfriend and I never told her about what had happened yet... The HIV dilemma came up after we had already been back togetherÖ I was so scared and stressed out. I told my mother "I have never been this stressed in my entire life". I mean come on, those side effects from an antibiotic and I had an accident with a female I wasnĎt close with? I never would of thought. Now I was so stressed out around this time, but I remember my hair was absolutely perfect, It was one of the only things making me happy. Well I had a talk with my girlfriend and we both went and got tested for every sexual disease & HIV. Everything in the book. This was the most nerve wrecking week of my entire life. I was dieing on the inside, I was contemplating suicide I had myself so convinced I had HIV. Well the test came back, all negative. Ahhh, what a relief. I think I jumped around with joy for at least an hour. Then it clicked. The antibiotic for my face. We looked for the side effects, everything I had was listed. Ugh, I wish I would of known the side effects beforehand, or I would of never thought I would of picked up HIV. On top of all that, I had been working full time and eating very poorly (no breakfast, pizza for lunch, fast food for dinner). No where close to the nutrients I should have been getting for a young man. I also noticed a loss in weight. nothing to drastic but roughly 15 pounds... I went from 155-160 to 138..

I didnít start to notice a difference in my hair until the end of August.. I work with the public so I was always sure I was looking my bestÖ September it started to thin even more and became hard to manage, October & November it was the worst I have seen it.. Since then.. It has stayed the same. It feels thicker to me, but Iím not sure. There seems to be new hair growth in the areas where it has receded. But once again Im not positive. But in these areas I donít see any vellus hairs? There is thinner lighter hairs here and there, but they are all over half an inch long, so I'm not quite sure if they are vellus. I understand how the growing process works and everything.

I went and seen a dermatologist, He basically just blew me off. Told me to put hairs in an envelope and bring them back. But I had already stopped shedding.

Sorry for the novel, but I needed to get that out, how come college essays cant be that easy? but questions now.

Do you think it could possibly be telogen effluvium after what had been going on in my life? The severe stress was about 4 months prior to when this all started happening it makes sense to me, but the recession doesnít.

Is it possible that I could of had mild Telogen e. in the past and gotten it again? Why has my hair been receded at times but other times it has been normal? Or what else would be causing such a thing to happen. I looked at enough pictures to be able to say its not just camera tricks. I can clearly differentiate.

I Have heard that telogen effluvium effects the whole scalp. Which my whole scalp is suddenly much thinner then ever before. But It seems to be worse in certain areas? Iím not sure why.

If it was MPB, would I be losing a lot of hair still? There is nothing in the drain, and when I brush my hair before I go to sleep, all that falls is around 15 hairs give or take.

I have been trying your technique, do you think the reason some of the recession is occurring at times because of my scalp being to tight? On top of that having telogen effluvium

I fear that if it is telogen effluvium.. It will be chronic, because now that I am having these hair issues so young, I am stressing more then ever. On top of that, college, acne, work, and girlfriend.. Heavy load.. It seemed to be getting better, then I recently stressed out over some issues really bad and it seems like it crapped out on me again..

Donít know what to do

Thank you for your time.

SpaceCowboy
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like Telogen Effuvium(not sure if i spelled it right).......I had TE hit me over a year ago. The shedding went on for about 4 months, then it stopped. But it has taken until now for my hair to recover, and it is still recovering. Im about 90% right now, hopefully fully recovered by March 2006. If you do have TE, start doing the SE's now, and eat healthy and exercise. Taking the supplements that Tom recommends help too. I take them everyday. Recovery from TE is a bitch man, and I speak from experience. It takes lots of time and patience, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Once again man, I dont know if you have TE, but if you do, just ride it out man, things will get better.

Inquirer
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

SpaceCowboy, do you also have MPB or just telogen effluvium? It seems like you're expecting full recovery so that would be even more impressive if you have both. Thanks

SpaceCowboy
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I had slight recession in the temples which is slowly growing back month by month. I believe the TE worsened the recession causing a lot of hairs to go from terminal to vellus in a short amount of time. However, my temples are recovering. It is a slow process, but I have been doing the SE's faithfully for 7 months now and have been using Folligen copper-peptide spray for a couple of months also. I also started using NOX2, which pumps more nitric oxide in the blood stream, hopefully helping to grow healthy hair. I got the idea to start taking this from Biknut. I have been taking it for around 3 1/2 months now.

The recovery in my temples was looking really good last month because I had a lot of semi-terminal hairs and dark vellus hairs growing, but I shed a lot of them about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I believe they shed because their hair shafts are returning to their former healthy size and I hope to see a lot stronger and healthier hairs growing from my temples in the next 2 months. I will keep everyone updated. My hair is about 90% recovered, and hopefully will be fully recovered by March 2006, and at the latest May 2006.

I contribute my success to patience, positive thinking, the SE's, healthy diet, exercise almost everyday, supplements Tom recommends, Folligen spray, and perhaps NOX2.

Inquirer
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks SpaceCowboy, that's great. I'll try to get on your full program to see if I can speed up results that way. I really appreciate the info!

SpaceCowboy
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No problem man.....anytime.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Scott:

SpaceCowboy gave you good advice. But just one other thing. You wrote, "My girlfriend had been straightening & dyeing my hair , practicing styles for beauty school."

If your hair is in a vulnerable condition, I would not straighten or dye it. These two processes, no matter what your girlfriend tells you, damage the hair shaft and perhaps the hair follicle itself.

Scott
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thankyou very much for your help Space Cowboy and Tom

I appreciate your time!

Space Cowboy, I am also on NOX, but I am on NOX3, it has some extra AA's in it, you should check it out its maybe 5 bucks more than NOX2. I have only been on it for a month. I know it increases blood flow so when you lift you get better pumps. But I am hopin it helps some blood flow to my scalp! You said you excerise every day, have you knowticed any changed in ur body mass with the NOX2? I also take every vitamin under the book for healthy hair. I got them well balanced so I dont think im overdosing.

SPacecowboy, how long ago did you start to recover? And,,, you mentioned Folligen copper-peptide spray, what exactly does this do for you? Im going to research it.

SpaceCowboy
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My shed started last October(2004). I believe the trigger was Procerin. I had noticed in the summer of 2005 that my hairline had slightly receded on my right temple. So I hastily(stupidly) searched the internet and one of the first things I found was Procerin. It wasnt a drug, and I liked the idea of fixing my problem naturally so I ordered it.

Procerin has you taking somewhere around 3000 mg a day of Saw Palmetto, which I believe is extremely unhealthy to the body and dangerous. It can really mess up your bodies chemistry and horomones when taken in large doses. Within a month of taking Procerin the shedding started. We are talking like 300-400 hairs a day being shed minimum. I of coursed freaked out because I had never experienced this before.

So I made my second mistake and hastily researched up on Propecia. So I then ordered it and got on it too. This whole time I am shedding 300-400 hairs a day, and I could soon begin to see my scalp more and more. The thing was that I was not just losing hair on top, but on the sides too. I had these weird patterns all over my head of were hair was shedding.

I started Procerin at the end of Sept. 2004. I began to shed beginning of Nov. 2004. I then got on Propecia in Dec. 2004. I stayed on both Procerin and Propecia till Jan. I then discontinued use of Procerin and only used Propecia. I then ended my use of Propecia in March 2005 when I found Toms website.

Needless to say, I STRONGLY believe that my body does not react well with Saw Palmetto and the large doses of it is what triggered my TE. The shedding from the TE ended around mid March of 2005. So needless to say my hair was in sad shape in March because I had been shedding for around 5 months (300-400 hairs a day). Before the TE I had a very nice head of hair.

I thought I had a bad case of MPB during the shed and that is why I got on Propecia. This goes to show you DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU START CARELESSLY TAKING THESE DRUGS LIKE THEYRE MAGICAL CANDY THAT WILL CREATE MIRACLES WITH YOUR HAIR. I didnt do my HW and I paid the price. But if I didnt go through TE I prob would have never found Tom's website which has helped me tremendously, even with my hairline which was receding.

I say "was" because I am slowly gaining it back. It wasnt very bad at all before the TE, but after the TE it looked HORRIBLE.

I contribute most of my success to the SE's because I have been TOTALLY faithful to them everyday. I do them for at least 45mins-1 hour a day. Not at one time, but in increments of maybe 10-20 mins. The philosophy behind the SE's is filled with such truth about the chemistry of the human body. One would be a fool to scoff at it, because if they did their research theyd probably become an avid user of the SE's.

I have typed tooo much already but I am trying to give any kind of helpful information that I can to sufferes of TE who are out there. I had no idea what it was when it happened to me. And it took me about 8 months to finally figure out what was wrong. I even went to dermatologists, and they agreed that it looked as tho I had TE and I just needed to ride it out.

i found that the quickest way for me to recover from TE was to do the things I recommened on the posts above this one. And Tom information is also very true and should be adhered to. Straightening and dying will not help your situation at all.

I only shampoo 1-2 times a week, and when I do I use Nizoral 2%.

I am no scientists, so I cant really explain this in great detail, but the copper peptides in Folligen Spray have shown in studies to greatly speed up the healing process of skin. In MPB, the skin becomes inflamed and is therefore not a healthy environment for hair to grow and flourish. The copper peptides help to promote a healthy environment for your hair to grow. Studies also showed that mice grew back hair in bald spots that they had and they grew the hair back really quickly. The makers of Folligen speak about these things on their website.

I didnt start to strongly recover till around October of 2005. I started the SE's in May 2005, so it took around 6 months to see some results. I also believe I am a strong responder to the SE's just becaus they helped my hair strongly recover from the TE, and the SE's are now helping my hairline to recover as well.

If you have anymore questions, or if anyone else suffering from TE has anymore questions feel free to ask. I am not an expert, but I can speak from experience, and like I said earlier, if you take the right steps, you can fully recover from TE and you can succesfully fight MPB with the right tools. I take the no-drug approach because I believe the body can naturally heal itself if you give it what it needs to do so. But I am extremely happy for those who have seen positive results using the chemical approach, and wish them continued success.

Sartoux
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

I took your advice and brougt some wheat germ--how much do you reccomend taking to get the iron benefit?

about Regenix: is there something harmful in their products?--since you said you would rather take extra GLA? why not both?

I read about saliva tests for thyroid--have you heard of any research on that subject?--my blood tests suggest perfect thyroid function--yet, i did the iodine test: at it showed me deficient in iodine and i take my body temp every morning and it is still consistenly low, which is indicative of hypothyroid

SARTOUX

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sartoux:

You must have me confused with another nutrition guru. I never suggested wheat germ to you. It's a fine food though - a good source of protein and the entire B-complex except for B12. You'd have to eat a cupful, though, to get 8 mg of iron.

"since you said you would rather take extra GLA? why not both?"

It's a personal preference. Another personal preference is flax seeds powder on oatmeal in the morning - a lot of hair nutrients in this.

I'm not an expert in thyroid function.

Sartoux
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

Okay, i had a brain fart--i read brewers yeast and thought wheat germ--which, by the way, i dop not think i could eat a whole cupful.

I cannot eat brewer's yeast--because of the yeast

so, what hair nutrients are in flax seeds powder on oatmeal? and what does that taste like?

SARTOUX

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sartoux:

Flax seeds powder, which I get from Puritan's Pride, is high in alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid. It's also rich in lignans - phytochemicals that are supposed to be good for the hair. I mix it with oatmeal and add some walnuts and seedless grapes. It tastes good, but maybe I have eccentric taste buds.

Sartoux
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

Okay--as a gage do U think that liver tastes good?

Sartoux

Sartoux
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

Long time no write--i have been busy with family and working on myself--IV's, liver...--also, i actually have tried REGENIX as well--happy to report so far, my hair feels and looks sooo much better. The shedding had slowed down quite a bit, but, i have had a few days with more shedding-but no where near over hundred--more like 50-60--tomorrow i begin phase 2 of REGENIX-hope the progress to date is an indication of how the rest will go--of course, i am not stopping all my nutritional stuff

It is probably about time to do another blood test--god i hope the iron, cholestoral and proteins are up--it has to be--considering the 10 lbs i have gained so far

U never answered my question about the liver--and whether you think that tastes good?

SARTOUX

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Are you still there? It looks like your last post was a while ago.

I am a 35 year old Asian woman. I have always had incredibly thick, long hair, that I often had thinned because it was so ridiculously thick. After a very stressful period in college (which resulted in a sudden weightloss of about 10 pounds, which put me below 100 pounds), I noticed that my hair was still long, but not as thick. That happened about 3 months after the weightloss. I was told it was in response to the weightloss (so TE), and it did all grow back. Since back then I was not aware of TE, I had not been paying attention to how the hair was falling out exactly.

Now fast forward to last summer/fall. I was again under great stress and lost a lot of weight. I went from about 105 down to 94/95 pounds. I looked like a skeleton.

I had completely forgotten about TE, but in November I had a haircut and noticed that the style that I normally get just didn't look right. It looked flatter than the last time I had that style.

I attributed the look to the fact that I had lost much weight in my face, thus making my hair look different. Now I have realized that there is some hairloss going on. I am used to shedding a lot of hair in the shower, when I brush it, etc. Now I am noticing that mixed in with the normally extrememly thick, long hairs are some finer and shorter hairs. The shorter hairs have the little white things at the end, so they must be falling out normally (vs being pulled out).

When I part my hair I can see a lot of short new hairs sticking up, which is a good sign. Of course, my fear is that these little new hairs will fall out before they get long. Or they will grow and just be very thin compared to the way they normally are. I have noticed that some of the long hairs that fall out seem to be thinner than they used to be also, which worries me, since that would mean that they have been growing for a long time in this thin state.

After reading many posts on this board of people experiencing similar things, I read your explanation of "intermediate hairs". Of course, I hope that what I am seeing with these short thin hairs is just that they are intermediate hairs that are being replaced by normal thick hairs.

However, in another post I read from you, you told someone that short thin hairs are normal in regular baldness, but that there are few of them in TE. [Sorry I am paraphrasing].

So I am confused about my thin short hairs. How many of them would be too many to be just a part of TE? When I washed my hair today a normal amount of hair came out, and I would say there were 6 or 8 of these short thin hairs. Then when I combed it more hair came out (many thick long hairs), but about 8 or maybe 10 more of the thin short hairs. I am not sure about exact numbers.

I am not used to even seeing these little hairs. Since I wasn't paying close attention in my college TE episode, I dont know if this happened then or not. The thinness of my hair now does seem similar to what I saw in college though.

Please help me figure out if I am going bald! I am getting so stressed about this. Sometimes I will see a short thin hair and just hope that it came from my husband or something. But now that I have seen with my own eyes that some are coming out of my own head, the thinning of my hair has become very distressing.

Anything you can add is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. And thank you also for your excellent and informative responses on this board. This is one of the best medically-oriented boards I have ever come across.

Anonymous

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

"I was again under great stress and lost a lot of weight. I went from about 105 down to 94/95 pounds. I looked like a skeleton."

This psychological and physiological stress if it happens too often not only has a negative impact on your hair, but also has an extremely negative impact on your facial muscles. You're only 35 years old now and probably have good skin tone. (The Oriental women I know all have excellent skin.) But even though you are still young, weight loss - "94/95 pounds - takes its toll on facial muscles. Most skeletal muscles rebound after severe weight loss; facial muscles sometimes don't.

"Now I am noticing that mixed in with the normally extrememly thick, long hairs are some finer and shorter hairs."

Even dermatologists cannot always make the distinction between intermediate hairs and short hairs that are the result of "short cycling." I don't want to burdern you with a dull reading assignment - still you should know something about the hair cycle if you are to understand hair loss and hair growth. Go to Male Pattern Baldness and read the section on cycles.

When a terminal hair (a thick hair) grows only so long and falls out, this is a sign that the growing stage (anagen) of the hair cycle is truncated. I don't want to scare you, but this is not a good sign.

You have to start taking care of your health especially by eating nutritious foods - and don't count on supplements alone to get the job done. Read my article on Nutrition, for some ideas about a hair-healthy diet. You're a premenopausal woman - make sure you get enough iron, preferably from red meat.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a 16 year old male with a hirline that has been receding for a while but a lot moreso lately. I plan on getting my thyroid checked out, as well as switching to Nioxin shampoo and probably Nizoral as well. I am also thinking about using folligen. I'm wondering how i would apply the folligen cream (reccomended for use on the hairline). Would I rub it in to the area of my head that I hope to start growing hair again? I also read somewhere that they make a product for blondes that uses tin-peptides rather than copper. Is this true b/c I haven't seen one it being sold?

Also, what can anyone tell me about emu oils, i.e. the positve/negative effects, reason to use, etc... I'm asking b/c folligen sells this and recommends to use it with their product.

Leona
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a 15 year old female, with rapid hairless. It started about a month ago. My mom says its nothing to worry about, but when I brush my hair it only takes one stroke for my brush to fill with hair, and even when I'm done and run my fingers through it, I get globs of hair coming out.

I had my hair professionally dyed, sometime in late January or early February, and I had at first thought it was because of that. But I'm not very sure. My hair had originally been extremely thick, but I've noticed how thin its gotten.

Not only that, but the hairs that come out, have little white tips. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm worried, and wondering if it was possible that I had TE?

honest
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Leona,
Go see a doctor, beg your mom to take you, a doctor can answer all your questions and help you find a solution to your problem.

Roberta31
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom. First I would like to say thank you for having this site. I will give a brief history- I am a 31 yr old female and noticed diffuse thinning shortly after the birth of my 1st child. Alot was going in my life so I just assumed it was stress related. I had my 2nd child 7 months ago anf for the past 3 months my hair is thinning again. My hair never returned to the way it was before I had my first but my hair was pretty thick. Now having less hair and falling out again I have tried to find answers on the web. Yes I have seen a derm. which he did a biopsy and said nothing was wrong. (that was before the pregancy of my second) I am now on Rogaine and started taking Iron pills( I have always been anemic but never took them for a long period because they upset my stomach) QUESTION- Do you beleive I have TE due to the birth of my children? I do have tiny hairs (not alot)that are growing that I can see on top of my head, with TE will it grow back? I can see my scalp and I am quite depressed about it. Any advise would help. Thank You

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Roberta 31:

I think it's better to get your iron from meat and other natural sources. This way you would not have an upset stomach.

Read the following article by Dr. Kevin McElwee:
Pregnancy induced effluvium

Pregnancy may be a key life event where hair loss can develop. Hair loss may begin during the last trimester or it may begin after child birth. Hair loss is often a form of telogen effluvium but sometimes pregnancy can promote the onset of (androgenetic alopecia) in susceptible women.

Post partum alopecia

Postpartum alopecia is quite a common form of hair loss. In non-pregnant women about 10% to 15%of hair follicles are in a telogen resting state. During the late stages of pregnancy more and more hair follicles enter an anagen growth stage until shortly before birth 5% or fewer hair follicles are in telogen. After child birth up to 60% of these anagen stage hair follicles switch off and enter telogen all at the same time. The hair loss may become progressively worse for up to four months after child birth and it may persist for several more months as the hair follicles reorganize themselves and begin activity again.

Pregnancy involves prolonged hormone levels, particularly estrogen. Estrogen is known stimulate hair follicles and maintain them in an anagen growing state. So in pregnancy the hair follicles are not allowed to cycle as they normally would. The hair follicles are forced to keep active even though they might normally want to have a rest as part of the hair cycle. After child birth the estrogen levels suddenly drop and hair follicles are finally allowed to enter telogen all at the same time.

Pregnancy induced effluvium

Pregnant women are eating for two and a growing embryo consumes a lot of energy and nutrients. Deficiencies in certain vitamins and/or minerals can be the result if a diet is not adjusted to increase intake of required nutrients. Telogen effluvium type hair loss may develop.

Roberta31
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Tom for such a quick responce. What do you know or think about Spironolactone? Does it work for women with AGA?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Roberta31:

I make no comments about the chemical treatments. You'll have to do your own reserch (and a lot of it) before making up your mind. I know of one woman in her 50s who had excellent success with a short-term program of Spironolactone use.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom (and everyone else who's posted) --

First, I want to thank you for hosting this message board. I'm going through what I believe to be CTE, though neither my primary care doc nor my derm has been able (or willing) to specifically define it. I'm a 36-y-o female who's been shedding huge amounts of hair for over 2 years. No true "baldness," just significant diffuse thinning and hundreds of hairs in the shower, in my brush, and on my clothes EVERY day. I really believe something systemic is causing this, so I'm keeping "on" my doc.

Which brings me to my next point: As a result of my initial tests, we've discovered my transferrin saturation is abnormally high (54% the first time; 45% the second). This seems to indicate hemochromatosis (iron overload), though genetic tests are negative. I'm working with my doctor to try to figure out what, if not hemochromatosis, is causing this.

First, do you know of any connection between hemochromatosis and TE (or other hair loss)? I've done a TON of research on this, but it all seems inconclusive. Some people mention loss of hair on the head; others mention loss of body hair. My concern is the hair on my head.

Second: I just want to make people -- especially women -- aware of the need to be very careful with iron supplements. We've been conditioned to believe we're chronically deficient in iron, and that hair shedding indicates anemia or other iron insufficiency. (In fact, this is how my high transferrin saturation was discovered: My doctor actually suspected anemia). PLEASE do not assume this is your problem and start popping supplements until you speak with your doctor and determine that you are, in fact, truly iron deficient. Chronic undiagnosed iron overload can cause significant health problems.

Not trying to scare anyone here -- just want to create some awareness. If you suspect your issue may be iron deficiency, please consult your doctor before taking iron supplements. :-)

Anyhoo, Tom, if you know of any connection between HH and hair loss -- or more generally, between high TS and hair loss -- please let me know. Thanks for all of your insights.

Liza
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, is this board still active?

I've read through almost all of the posts - very informative.

I'm trying to determine if I may be in recovery from TE? I've been shedding tons of hair and lost considerable density over the past few years. Most days, I'd shed well over 200 hairs just in the shower and from brushing -- not counting all the loose ones that would fall out during the day. I think maybe I'm experiencing some form of chronic TE, though the dermatologist wasn't very helpful -- telling me not to worry and that I "have far more hair than lots of people." Well, I'm in my mid-30s and I didn't find that to be helpful advice, especially given I've lost probably half of my density in the last 2 years.

Well, lately, my shedding *does* (thankfully) seem to have slowed. I try not to count because it makes me very anxious, but it's definitely noticeably less than it used to be. When I look in the mirror, even though the first thing I notice is how much thinner my hair is, I do also see lots of 1-2 inch, sort of curly hairs shooting straight up from my scalp like I have a bad case of static. My question is, could this, in conjunction with the slowed shedding, be a sign of regrowth/recovery from TE? None of my hair is the same length anymore -- in addition to the short hairs on my scalp/part, my longer hairs are all varying lengths -- it looks like I have an awful case of split ends. Is this also a sign of recovery from TE?

Sorry to babble on for so long, but I'm hoping Tom, or someone out there who has experienced this, can share some insight.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

You're absolutely right in your caution about taking iron supplements for TE or any other disorder. I have never recommended iron supplements. If a woman has a low - even though within the normal range - serum ferritin number, I have alway suggested building this number up with iron-rich foods, not supplements. Most people like the magic of pills though.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Liza:

I think you might have a problem. Go to Dr. McElwee's Keratin.com and click on Effluviums in the left panel. Carefully read through these pages so that you'll get a thorough understanding of your problem. I think he has some information of short-cycling too. If he doesn't, come back to this forum.

Liza
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your fast reply! Though "I think you might have a problem" sounds ominous. I'll go to that site now and do some reading. One quick question for clarification -- are you suggesting I do have TE? Or might it be something else?

Thanks so much.

Liza
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi again, Tom --

Sorry for so many posts.

I've read through keratin.com, and now suspect I may have short anagen syndrome? Unfortunately, the information there is sparse; I did a Google search with lots of results, but any specific "short androgen syndrome" (as opposed to "loose androgen syndrome") references seemed to be in abstracts I couldn't access without purchasing.

Do you have any knowledge of this syndrome? Specifically, is there any hope for recovery? (It seems this may be the case with loose anagen, but can't find anything on short anagen). I'm wondering if I should make another appointment with the dermatologist (or, better, find one with a clue) to discuss this?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Liza:

Go to Google and type "short cycling, hair follicle" in the search box. You'll find several articles there, including two by me. Short cycling is another name for the short anagen syndrome.

If your hair grows only an inch or two before falling out, this is an indication of short cycling.

Liza
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom --

Well, my hair doesn't seem to just grow an inch or two before falling out; everything I've lost in the past (and the reduced, but certainly continued shedding now) seems to be terminal hairs. The bizarre part is all the non-uniform hairs all over my head that look like flyaways. Some are long (as long, or almost as long, as my cut length, which is at my shoulders); others are a few inches shorter than that; still others are about half as short; and so on.

I haven't noticed any hairs of these lengths falling out, though I suppose it's possible -- I'll start paying attention.

I still have not been able to locate your articles on short cycling, though I've picked up enough to know it's bad. My questions: If short cycling is indicative of MBP, and I'm a relatively young, premenopausal female -- can this happen to me? And if so, is it reversible? Should I be asking my doctor for a testosterone level test?

Thanks, Tom. You really are a help to those of us struggling with these depressing issues.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey...

I see that this forum started up again in the last two days or so and I have a situation that I'd desperately like some advice on.

In the last eight months or so I started to notice more hair falling out in the shower and during brushing afterwards than I had before. At first I thought I was just being paranoid due to my father and brother being bald and I have had very fine hair my entire life with no history of women in my family ever experiencing hair loss until later in life. I'm only a twenty year old college student, however, I've been experiencing a ton of stress lately. Focusing on my hair just made the situation worse, so I forged it from my mind for a while until I noticed more hair coming out on average 150-200 strands a day. I could swear that my already fine hair looks thinner, however after my hairdresser cutting it shorter, she believes that's just me adjusting to the new length that's 8 inches shorter in the front layers and she assures me that my hair is NOT thinning. However, when finals came about over a month ago, I began to experience this sharp, burning, tingling sensation near the temple regions of my scalp that seem to worsen when I get very anxious or nervous..and lately, even after school has ended, I've been feeling anxious and stressed ALL the time, thus my head is in this constant pain of burning and headaches. I've been monitoring my hair shedding which does not seem to be more than 200 strands a day, i see new hairs growing in in the front where I saw hair loss over the last 8 months (and they are getting longer), but I still have this aweful burning sensation where if I even run my fingers thru my hair to play with it (which I used to lvoe to do) my scalp burns and is extremely sensative. Am I experience permanent hair loss? I have an appt. with a dermatologist in a week, but the pain is so great and all my regular doc. has said is that I can't handle stress and he gives me xanex i believe it is. I have also been weaning off of wellbutrin xl..could this have any effect?! Right now, my hair still has a lot of volume in it after washing so it doesn't look so bad, but I realize that its thinner than what it used to be. PLEASE! If someone can help me or give me any advice..I'd truly appreciate it!!! My scalp would really appreciate it! And my stress and depression from school and my fixation on my hair would be alleviated somewhat..hopefully!!

Thanks! and I'm sorry for this stupidly long post!

Kathy McDonald
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom and others;
Nice website. I experienced TE about 3 months after the birth of my son in 2004. My hair full out for at least a year before it slowed down. The cycle seemed to return to normal, though all my hair hadn't grown back in before I started Depo-Provera. Well, 3 months after that, the TE came again. It didn't last as long that time. Now, I started Lexapro 3-4 months ago and hair shedding began about 3 months after that, so I switched to Zoloft (I took Zoloft before without hairloss happening). Is this chronic TE, or is this recurrent TE because of many triggers? Can one be more prone to it after an initial episdode? I'm an RN, but I do pediatrics, and this is not a common problem in that population.
THanks,
Kathy RN

Charlene
Username: Carolinagirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom first of all I want to say, "Thank You!" Your website is so informative and has been so helpful to me on my quest to find answers to my problem with my hair loss. I Will start out with some history about myself. I'm 5'3,115,age 32. My hair loss started about a yr or so after my twins now age 5 were born. I gave it about a yr and then went to see my dr. They checked FSH,LH and thyroid and said all were normal range. I thought well ok but after another yr or so went by I decided to go to a dermatologist and he took down my history and took a sample of my hair and took it and went and analyzed it under microscope. Came back and said it was telogen effluvium. Should improve shortly and gave me some vitamins and sent me on my way! Fast forward to summer of 06, I started looking at my diet and realized I was only getting about 25-30 Grams of protein a day and noticed a few flag-striped hairs and started researching and came across protein deficiency and started increasing it to 55-60 Grams a day,taking multi-vitamin,biotin,and flaxseed oil and making sure I get about 35 grams of fat a day. Went to Dr in Aug 06 and my cholesterol that is normally in 150's was 203 and HLDL was 119 usually in 80'sand B-12>2000. Dr said nothing to worry about and probably something I ate days prior. TSH was 1.34 and 3 days later checked and it was 2.015 at gynecologist when I went for my annual visit. Is that typical? Just 3 days in between those levels. My scalp past month has started to become tender,tingles and sometimes itches yet I don't see any dandruff or inflamation. Hair is thinning everywhere and temporal area bilaterally is really where it's obvious.No bald spots and hair is various lengths when it falls out and most have white bulb very obviously attached. I just want your gut feeling if this sounds like telogen effluvium and if not what do you think? I value your opinion and did read about scalp exercises and started those yesterday. Any input would be appreciated. Again, thanks so much for what you do on here.

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Charlene:

I wonder what kind of a diet you have. Are you a vegetarian? Vegetarians often do not get enough complete protein even though the vegetarian health gurus say that fruits and vegetable give you all the complete protein you need.

"Went to Dr in Aug 06 and my cholesterol that is normally in 150's was 203 and HLDL was 119 usually in in 80's..."

What's HLDL? Do you mean HDL, or is this something else? Values on all these measurements, including TSH, change almost daily, but the change is usually not too great.

Read through the whole thread. I just read through it. There's a lot of information here. By the way, Dr. Andrew Weil recommends flax seed powder instead of the oil. He gives some cogent reasons for this. I use the powder.

That's a nice story about the dermatologist: "Came back and said it was telogen effluvium. Should improve shortly and gave me some vitamins and sent me on my way!"

I wish you'd read my article about Nutrition. You might find some good suggestions in this. about

Charlene
Username: Carolinagirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to your reply. I meant LDL, the bad cholesterol. I felt it odd that it should change that dramatically with no changes in diet or exercise. I'm not a vegetarian, just never really cared for meat products and it's only in past 3 months I've started counting protein grams and making sure I received not just 25-30 but about 60 a day. Could that have caused my hair loss and if so how long will it take to STOP falling out? Still losing it at same rate! I did read your article on nutrition even before I sent you that message along with anything and everything else you said on this website. Even doing scalp exercises because past few months even though my scalp looks totally normal, it has been very tender and even sore if I even wear a barette in it for a few hours. Yet, no dandruff or scalp condition of any kind noted. I have lost faith in doctors as everyone seems to want to pin it on stress and not offer any solutions. I have noticed my hair is in all kinds of stages of various growth. Scalp hairs of 1-2 inches,4-5 inches and even much longer all coming out with white bulb attached. I can see little hairs growing in where it is thinning out at temples and no bald spots noted anywhere on scalp. Does this sound like chronic telogen effluvium to you? Please your opinion is highly regarded and much appreciated. Thanks again!

Tyler
Username: Tyler123

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom my dilemma is very similar to Space Cowboy's, I had a generous covering of hair till a few months back, on a friends advise I decided to take Procerin to improve the quality of my hair on the premise that being herbal without any side effects it could not do me any harm if not any good. I started taking three pills a day in August 2006, I did not see much change but in two weeks time I felt that my hair looked darker; this could very well be placebo effect not too sure.
I continued taking these pills for another couple more weeks and slowly started to notice more of my scalp on top was visible with lots of diffused thinning, the strange thing though is that I never noticed any hair fall, neither in the shower nor in bed. I immediately went off Procerin in September 2006 but I believe the shedding continued for a couple more weeks before stabilizing.

To cover for my lack of density I had to buzz my hair and since then have kept it short for all these months, I haven't seen any re growth of what I lost on this drug and its has been almost 4 months. I wanted to get your advice on if you think that there is a chance of re-growth or I have lost my hair for good or should I be doing/ taking something to expedite the process of re-growth if at all
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tyler:

You wrote, "I wanted to get your advice on if you think that there is a chance of re-growth or I have lost my hair for good..."

I hope you know that I can't give you an intelligent answer to that. First of all, I don't think Procerin was the cause of your problem. The ingredients in Procerin will not cause shedding - Saw Palmetto Berries, Gotu Kola, Nettles, Magnesium, Zinc Sulfate,Eleuthero Root , Vitamin B-6, Pumpkin Seed Meal, and Muira Puma Root.

You also wrote, "...should I be doing/ taking something to expedite the process of re-growth if at all."

Many people who post messages on this discussion forum have programs that they say have helped their hair loss problems. I have my program too. Read about it by going to My Approach.

If you're looking for an easy way to solve your hair loss problem, this isn't it. It's not like popping a few pills. My approach demands some discipline, persistence, and even some work.

Tyler
Username: Tyler123

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom-
Thanks a lot; I really appreciate your input.
When you say, Procerin may not be the cause of my shed that makes me wonder what else could be the reason that would explain sudden hair loss in a month's time coinciding exactly with the duration of me being on this drug. I did not change anything else in my lifestyle at least there was no conscious effort.

In your notes of Saw Palmetto which is a prime ingredient of Procerin you have written:

"Saw Palmetto is not "safer" nor does it cause "fewer side effects". People report just as many, if not more side effects, from excessive unrelenting hair shedding, to hormonally related side effects like acne and testicle pain, to emotionally related side effects and even estrogen related side effects like breast growth. We advise caution in using any hormonal modulator, and strongly advise against using one that isn't even going to help your hair loss"

Does the above not explain the shedding I experienced, also I should have mentioned this in the earlier post, since the past three months I have also experienced an exacerbated case of acne, mostly on the face and body and some on the head. Could these be related to hair loss?

I am fully aware that hair re growth is not an over right process and there is no wonder drug, I have the patience and diligence till I see or not see results. I find the SE exercises that you recommend fascinating and scientific and will order the video shortly.

Thanks again for all your help
Tyler

s m
Username: Unxplained

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Tom,
In 2004 (march), i had a allergic reaction towards pencillin which caused my hairs to fall out after about two weeks of stopping the medication. Since then all the hairs on my scalp have thinned considerably, even the sides of my head. The top of my head had diffuse thinning. I was on minoxidil even before this as I felt i was losing my hairs. Baldness is present on both sides of my family. Its been more than 3 years now and my hairs are still in the thin state, as compared to my previous state. the minoxidil did help me a lot, however, it was tedious and i wanted to do away with it. i've been off minoxidil for more than four months now and my hairs have thinned further.

I feel I am suffering from chronic telogen effluvium because of the duration of my disorder. I need to point our a few of my observations. My head is now showing an obvious MPB pattern. But I feel that it is filling in with more thinner hairs. After stopping minoxidil, the thicker hairs were shed and thinner hairs were replaced in its place. My hairs now dont attain the length that i used to achieve while on minoxidil. My hairs all seem to be there, the only thing is that they are exteremely thin. My hairline also seems intact with thinning in the front. I notice that there are very fine hairs (less than an inch) in between the hairs that were replaced with the thinner hairs.

Overall, my hairs have a lighter texture and they are thinner than before. Do there vellus hairs denote possible new hair growth. were the thicker hairs shed because i went off minoxidil?
If i keep pulling at hairs in the hairline and top region, I tend to pull of two to three with club shaped roots. Most of these are white, some of them are black. Does this mean they are still in the telogen phase. Why is it that the shed hairs are growing back thinner? is it possible miniaturization?. I even pulled out hairs that were about 3 inches long and were thin. Its all werd that all these things are happening in one shot.

Should I get back onto minoxidil?

Many thanks for your help Tom.

David
Username: Frustrated

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

About a year ago, I started shedding a lot. I had really thick hair, so it didn't make any immediate difference. However, I did notice that my hairs were weaker/lighter. My scalp also was itching a bit. In January or February, I went to a dermatologist, who told me that I was not balding but was instead suffering from seborrheic dermatitis, which often causes some hair thinning. Since then, my dermatologists have prescribed a number of steroid topicals and even oral steroids. None have worked. Their diagnoses have changed from dermatitis to a fungus to psoriasis. Regardless, my hair has thinned quite a bit in the meantime. However, the thinning is diffuse, from the bottom in the back to the lower sides to the front and top of my scalp. My hairline shape hasn't changed, though it is noticeably thinner. Most fallen hairs have a white bulb at the end.

I should also mention that I started law school in August 2006, so it's obviously been a stressful time (though less stressful lately).

I've been reading lately that psoriasis/dermatitis may not directly cause hair loss but may trigger TE. Is this common?

The psoriasis/dermatitis/fungus/whatever is just as strong as ever. It itches terribly, and my scalp is always dry, scaly, and flaky. No treatments seems to work. (I'm thinking about shaving my head to give the topicals a more direct route. I have pretty long hair right now.)

Can TE be brought on by psoriasis, or am I suffering hair loss directly from the psoriasis? Does this even sound like TE?

I haven't been shedding as much for a while, but I haven't noticed any hair regrowth either. How long does this typically take?

I'd appreciate any advice/information.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3462
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

"Can TE be brought on by psoriasis, or am I suffering hair loss directly from the psoriasis?"

This is from the excellent website - Emedicine.com:
The symptom of both acute and chronic telogen effluvium is increased hair shedding. Patients usually only complain that their hair is falling out at an increased rate. Occasionally, they note that the remaining hair feels less dense. In both forms of telogen effluvium, hair is lost diffusely from the entire scalp. Complete alopecia is not seen.

Acute telogen effluvium is defined as hair shedding lasting less than 6 months. Patients with acute telogen effluvium usually complain of relatively sudden onset of hair loss. Careful questioning usually reveals a metabolic or physiologic stress 1-6 months before the start of the hair shedding. Physiologic stresses that can induce telogen effluvium include febrile illness, major injury, change in diet, pregnancy and delivery, and starting a new medication. Immunizations also have been reported to cause acute hair shedding.

Papulosquamous diseases of the scalp, such as psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis, can produce telogen effluvium.

Chronic telogen effluvium is hair shedding lasting longer than 6 months. The onset is often insidious, and it can be difficult to identify an inciting event. Because of the duration of the hair shedding, patients are more likely to complain of decreased scalp hair density, or they may note that their hair appears thin and lifeless.

You wrote, "my dermatologists have prescribed a number of steroid topicals and even oral steroids."

My suggestion is to do some reading about the side effects of topical steroids, one of which is thinning of the skin. A terminal hair follicle (one that is thick in diameter and pigmented) needs at least 2 millimeters of scalp skin depth in order to flourish. If your scalp skin is atrophied because of topical steroids, terminal hair follicles might start to miniaturize.

David

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is the difference between recovery from chronic telogen and acute telogen? As this has been going on for a year or so, I'm assuming this is chronic...(if it is TE, anyway).

(Really, I think I'm on the edge of shaving my hair until I can fix all this.)

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

There is no time frame on chronic telogen effluvium if that is what you have. CTE is relatively rare though. You probably have ordinary TE.

David

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My psoriasis (knock on wood) is gone (at least for now, I guess). Anyway, my doctor said that the inflammation from the psoriasis was causing my hair to shed but that it should begin to grow back in within the next few months (and noted that it looked like I already had a little along my hairline).

I know that Rogaine can help speed the process along, but I understand that it can also cause initial shedding of its own. I was wondering if you know of anything else that could stimulate growth, other than just waiting...

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

David:

"my doctor said that the inflammation from the psoriasis was causing my hair to shed but that it should begin to grow back in within the next few months..."

If your doctor is right, you probably don't need to start on Rogaine. Rogaine can speed up the recovery from TE, but is it worth it? A good anti-inflammatory diet with plenty of the omega-3 fatty acid will also speed up recovery. Read my article on the Anti-inflammatory Diet.

Jay
Username: Jay

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

I was looking up telogen effluvium and came across this blog. Thought I'd share my experience in this matter. I am a 28 year old male, who is also suffering from hair loss.

During August 2007, I went through a very stressful event, I was depressed, starting drinking and smoking regularly. 3 months later, I began shedding from all over my scalp more than usual, this was very discouraging. Before this, I had a full set of hair, very full and very thick, now...its practically lifeless. My friends tell me that they do not notice, but I do, it has become very thin.

Both my parents and grandparents have a full set of hair. So I am convinced that it was due to psychological stress instead of hereditary factors. I went to a dermatologist, two for that matter...and they both advised me that it was stress and it will grow back within 2-3 months, that was 6 months ago.

It has been over 10 months overall, and no sign of re-growth. I am not sure if I am still stressed out from what initially happened back in August 2007, but one thing for sure, my stress level has decreased significantly.

Reading up on Telogen Effluvium, it is said that it takes about 6 months for it to stop shedding and about a full year to fully recover and gain hair back. I am still shedding about 25-30 strands a day (ones that i do notice), and no sign of re-growth anywhere, maybe except for a few thin strands on the top of my forehead line. I don't really notice any receding hairlines, but i do notice that it has become noticeably thinner.

I work out and exercise daily, i take vitamin B,D,and C pills daily, I eat lots of veggies, greens and protein also on a daily basis. I went to my dermatologist again maybe a month ago, and he said that there is nothing I can do...except wait it out. He said it might be MPB, even though it does not run in the family, it is not impossible for someone to get it. He said if it was telogen effluvium or stress-related, the shedding would have stopped by now. So now, i am a little afraid that it is MPB.

Is there anyway we can differentiate between the two? Would there be different symptoms or reactions? I still have an itchy scalp especially while i am at work. People who are suffering from MPB, do they also have itchy scalps as well? The hairs i pull out all seem to be telogen hairs (club-shaped roots). If we suffer from MPB, are the roots of the hairs the same shape?

The doc recommended Proscar , because there is finasteride in it (relatively cheaper than propecia). I use a very small dose of it every 3 days, enough for it to work and a sufficient amount to prevent any side effects. Do you have any advice or any suggestions that may help my situation? As you can see i am hoping that it is not MPB and something else, something i can fix, because it doesn't make sense to me if it was to be MPB. Any thoughts?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3649
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

"I am still shedding about 25-30 strands a day (ones that i do notice), and no sign of re-growth anywhere, maybe except for a few thin strands on the top of my forehead line."

The normal rate of hair loss is about 50 hairs each day. Of course if you lose even 50 hairs a day without new growth, you will not like what you see in the mirror after a few years.

"Is there anyway we can differentiate between the two?"

A differential diagnosis is hard especially in the early stages of telogen effluvium or male pattern baldness. Even with a biopsy it is not easy or certain.

"I use a very small dose of it [Proscar] every 3 days, enough for it to work and a sufficient amount to prevent any side effects."

What's the "sufficient" amount to prevent side effects? You evidently have discovered a secret.

Jay

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your insight on the matter. I am sure that I do lose more than 50 strands a day, I just notice about 30 a day now. I used to never shed hair before like this. Even after 10 months of shedding, is it still considered an early stage? Judging from what I have told you in my previous post...do you believe that it is telogen effluvium? Is it possible to develop MBP even when your parents and grandparents did not have it? I am just trying to figure out what is the cause of this sudden hairloss. I've also been growing many more grey hairs as well. (My grandfather has a full set of grey hairs. Lately, I've been noticing it falling out more in the back and in the front. Any information will be helpful.

With proscar, my doc told me to cut the pill in half and have it every other 2 days. I've been taking it for about 2 months now...so far, no positive results.

Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

"Is it possible to develop MBP even when your parents and grandparents did not have it?"

The inheritance of a predisposition for baldness is not like the inheritance of a gene for blue eyes or black hair. The inheritance for hair loss is known as multifactorial. By this is meant a combination of genetic and environmental influences. Even if your parents or grandparents did not have hair loss, you could still have a genetic predisposition for it. But predisposition does not necessarily mean a certainty of hair loss. If your diet is good, if you have a healthy life style, if you do the scalp exercise, there is a good chance that you can stabilize your present hair loss and even regrow the hair you have lost.

But there is no instant magic at work here. If you understand how the hair follicles cycle, you will see that achieving healthy hair follicles that produce luxuriant hair is not a one week or one month process.

Jay

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again for your input Tom. When you said scalp excercies, what kind of excercies can you recommend?

Since I have been shedding for 10 months now, can I factor out that telogen effluvium is the cause of my hairloss problem? Or is there a chance that it is T.E? Its hard to know what the cause is, so it is hard to decide what measures to take in fixing the problem. Would you say that this could possibly be chronic T.E.?

Thanks.

Jay

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

I hope you're not too busy, but i was wondering if you could kindly answer the questions i have asked in my previous post. Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3669
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

You evidently did not read any of the pages in my website. Read My Approach, both pages, for a start. I describe on these pages the scalp exercise and how it may benefit your hair.

About your question - "Or is there a chance that it is T.E?" You cannot trust any diagnosis you may get over the Internet. Only a charlatan would give you a diagnosis without even seeing your hair condition or running tests.

Helen S
Username: Helens

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom

Im very interested to know some possiblities of why the TE condition affects some women who have taken yasmin BCP and not others...and if theres something that people that suffer might have in common.....you mention serrum ferritin (if Ive spelt that right!) Id be interested to know how I could possibly get this tested?
You did mention the anti-inflammatory diet which I'm looking into but are there any other supplements of anything else I should be tested for that I could then correct in order to speed up my recovery?
Also, I don't know if you're able to comment on this but is it a bad idea to have hair extensions fitted? Thanks!!

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3677
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Helen S:

Hair follicles do not respond well to changing environments. Getting on, changing, or getting off BCPs changes the hormonal environment of the hair folllicles. Some women's hair is more sensitive to these changes than others. In the various hair loss forums I see comments from women on Yasmin who have varying degrees of hair loss. Perhaps this form of BCP is responsible for telogen effluvium.

You have to ask a doctor to give you the test for serum ferritin. The normal range for women is between 12 and 150 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml). But if you are in the lower end of the "normal" range, it would be best to raise your level to at least 70 ng/ml.

Poorly fitted extensions can sometimes cause traction alopecia. The weight of the extensions can pull on the scalp and this continuous pulling will damage the hair follicles.

Cliff
Username: Magitf

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Tom,

I have a question about possible TE. I'm a 20 year old male who eats healthy and is physically active. However, I was diagnosed with hypertension and was put on a beta blocker/diuretic combination about a year and a half ago. Since then, my hair has been thinning. At first it seemed like MPB, as most of the thinning has been occurring near the front, however a few things lead me to believe it might not be so. The first is that there is no family history whatsoever of balding (parents, grandparents, cousins, uncles, etc). The second is the type of shedding. I'm not getting baby hairs or anything, but rather full grown hairs just keep falling out. I examine the end of the hair and they all have little white spades. This also seems to come in cycles. For awhile my hair will thin noticeably, and then there will be some regrowth (usually I can tell by pulling my hair back and seeing a new hair line growing in).

Does this sound like TE? Could it be caused by my beta blocker/diuretic? Four-five days ago I went off my medication and was put on an ACE inhibitor instead. Right before I went off my medication it seemed that the hair loss was slowing down (suggesting it was going to start its regrowth phase again) over the past week or two... once I switched medications it immediately started falling out as fast as it had been before. Does that mean that my ACE inhibitor is causing hair loss, too? Or could it just be an effect of the beta blocker/going off the beta blocker? It's only been a few days since I've been off the beta blocker/diuretic, and now I'm nervous as I was really hoping this medication switch might be the answer to my hair problem.

Thanks!

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cliff:

The continuous use of beta-blocker medication has been associated with telogen effluvium. Take a look at WebMD - scroll down to Heart, High Blood Pressure drugs.

This is from the Women's Health section of the New York Times:
For example, more than 290 medications are known to cause hair loss in women, including beta blockers and ace inhibitors that are used to treat hypertension; lithium and other antidepressants; blood-thinning agents, and amphetamines like phentermine, which was half of the recently banned fen-phen diet drug combination.

With male pattern baldness there is usually hundreds of vellus hairs visible. Vellus hairs are thin non-pigmented hairs about a half inch long. With TE there are only a few vellus hairs.

Of course you can't get a diagnosis on the Internet. But even a dermatologist, if he is willing to spend some time with you, will have trouble giving a differential diagnosis.

What I would be looking for if I were you is a dietary program combined with a life-style program that might reduce your hypertension. A lifetime on drugs probably is not the way to go. Take a look at the Anti-inflammatory Diet which many people including Dr. Andrew Weil think have a beneficial effect on people with hypertension.

Jay

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

I was just wondering, are vellus hairs the same thing as baby hairs? I've noticed a few baby hairs growing in the front of my forehead where i have lost some. They are becoming long but thin. There aren't a lot but there are a few noticeable ones. In the above, you stated that people who suffer from MPB have hundreds of vellus hairs which only stay an inch or so long, people with TE do grow a few, but not many. I know it is difficult to diagnose me with MPB or TE since you cannot see my hair physically, but from what i describe to you, is TE still a possibility? My hair has been thinning for over 11 months now since my stressful event. My question is: Can TE last longer than a year, especially if I am still suffering from stress? I can safely say that i am not as stressed as i was before, but i am still dealing with stressful issues that have been ongoing...is this the problem to my hair loss?
Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

Baby hairs are fine hairs with a light pigmentation. You'll find these on babies. :-)

Vellus hairs are usually under a half inch long. The thin, unpigmented hairs over a half inch are sometimes called intermediate hairs. Both are characteristic of MPB.

TE can last longer than a year. It can morph into chronic TE, although this is not usual.

"My hair has been thinning for over 11 months now since my stressful event."

Prolonged psychological stress is not a high probability cause of TE or any form of hair loss. But some people who have high levels of stress combine this with horrible diets during the stressful period. This combination does not make for great hair.

Jay

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thanks again for the info. If infact what i am suffering is TE, how can i distinguish whether it is TE or MPB? I am aware that there are similarities between the two and that it is difficult to distinguish, but are there any distinctive differences? I still suffer from an itchy sculp, and i am not sure if this is a reaction to TE, but I never had an itchy scalp until my hair began shedding. Is this a symptom of TE? Also, do people with MPB grow baby hairs, because i seem to be growing a lot in the front line of my forehead? Thank you for your help Tom, as you see this has been bothering me for quite some time and i am trying to figure out what this is and if there is anything i can do to help it.

My diet is not so bad, I eat multiple vitamin pills daily, exercise regularly and eat a lot of red meat, fruits and vegies, so I'm not sure it has to do with diet. All i know is that i went through a very stressful time, and 3-4 months after this event occurred, i've began shedding hair excessively.

Thanks Tom.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

"but are there any distinctive differences?"

With TE the hair loss is diffuse. By diffuse I mean spread out equally over your whole scalp. With MPB the hair loss is in a characteristic U pattern. Also with TE there are only a few vellus hairs; with MPB, vellus hairs are prominent in the thinning areas.

"I eat multiple vitamin pills daily..."

I suppose it's OK to take a multivitamin pill. Andrew Weil recommends this. I don't take one. I much prefer to get all my nutrients from real food. But if you do consume vitamin pills make sure you don't get too much vitamin A. Too much of this vitamin can cause hair loss.

"I still suffer from an itchy sculp..."

There is the mantra repeated over and over again by dermatologists that an itchy scalp does not cause hair loss. Perhaps this is true but most people with hair loss problems have itchy scalps. The itch comes from a subclinical inflammation. An inflamed scalp might be a bad neighborhood for hair follicles to flourish in.

Jay

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI tom,

Thanks for the info. Yes, i seem to be shedding from all over the scalp, even on the sides but more so on the back and in the front. Nevertheless, I would say that it is evenly shedding from all parts of the scalp.

It is difficult to notice any vellus hairs around my head, but it is evident that there are some thin hairs (they look like baby hairs) growing along the frontline of my forehead. Is this a good sign of re-grwoth, or is it a process of MPB? It is hard for me to tell the difference between baby hairs and vellus hairs physically...so i am not sure which type of hair is actually growing in the front.

I mainly eat vitamin D and vitamin B complex pills daily. I have also been taking centrum pills ever since i was young.

I have been using steiprox shampoo for the itchy scalp,prescribe by my dermatologist but it does not seem to help too much. Is there anything else you can recommend?

if it is infact TE that i am suffering from, is there a high chance of regrowth? How long does the shedding usually last for, generally? Please keep in mind that I have been shedding for about 11 months now and my hair is now a lot less dense and thick than it was before, even if others do not notice...except for myself, and my barber.

Thanks Tom.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

"I have been using steiprox shampoo for the itchy scalp,prescribe by my dermatologist but it does not seem to help too much."

Here is a description of your shampoo:
Stieprox Liquid contains Ciclopirox
Olamine 1.5% w/w as the active
ingredient.

Ciclopirox Olamine is a broadspectrum
antifungal agent that
inhibits the growth of the yeast
known as Pityrosporum ovale or
Pityrosporum orbiculare, which is
associated with conditions such as
dandruff and seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Everyone has Pityrosporum ovale (P.ovale) in their scalp. Only rarely does this microorganism gets out of control. When this happens the result is an itchy scalp. The probabilities are high that your itchy scalp is not from an out-of-control P.ovale rampage. :-)

If you are indeed suffering from TE, you will likely recover your hair but I don't want to speculate on the time frame. It could take years. If you have MPB the prognosis is not that bright.

Jay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Tom,

From what you clarified above, should i stop using Steiprox then?

I do sincerely hope that it is not MPB, it would make more sense to me if it was TE, since it started shedding 3-4 months after i went through that stressful time. In addition, none of my parents, grandparents, relatives are bald, so it would not make too much sense if it were MPB. I know I still can have a predisposition for it, but i am hoping that this is not the case.

Do you believe that proscar (finasteride, half a pill every other 2 days) will help lessen the shedding and induce hair re-growth? I was prescribed by my dermatologist to take this about 3 months ago...i still do not notice and re-growth, and i am still shedding excessively. Should i continue the use? How long does it usually take to start working?

Besides the scalp exercises you've recommended, off the top of your head, is there anything else i can do in the meantime to help this process? Seems like all i can do is wait at the moment.

Marcus Learner
Username: Marcuslearner

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If it's TE you shouldn't take Fin. The thing with Fin is it take many months, sometimes a year before you see results. Fin is for fighting Male Pattern Baldness long term and people who stop taking it often start shedding again. Fin fights the cause of MPB by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase. If you're really going through TE and not MPB you shouldn't worry about inhibiting 5ar.

There are no quickie results when it comes to hair. I think all you can do "right now" is hygienic. For example, washing your hair with a few drops jojoba oil can really make your hair feel and look lush. I hope that helps.

Jay

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

So if it were TE I shouldn't be taking FIN? At the moment, there is no way of really knowing whether or not I am suffering from TE or from MPB so by continuing with FIN, will it be bad for my hair if it was just a classic case of TE?

Just one question Tom...I have mentioned that I have began growing some really fine hairs along the frontline of my forehead where most of the shedding has taken place, from your experience...is this a good sign? Mind you, that my hair continues to be thin and life-less, and the fine hairs make no real positive changes in the density. People with MPB, do they grow hairs this way?

Thanks again.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

If you really have TE, finasteride or minoxidil won't help, although some dermatologists suggest that minoxidil can speed up the process of TE recovery.

"I have began growing some really fine hairs along the frontline of my forehead where most of the shedding has taken place..."

If these fine hairs are essentially colorless and are less than a half inch long, they are probably vellus hairs. A proliferation of vellus hairs in a thinning area is an indication of male pattern baldness. But please get second and third opinions on this.

Jay

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Marcus and Tom for your insight and advice.

Since I am still not sure what I have. Is it safe to continue the usage of finisteride? My doctor prescribed it to me.

Yes, they are thinner than the other hairs on my head...but they seem to be growing longer than half and inch...there aren't too many, but maybe just a few along the front-line of my forehead. Tom: you indicated in a earlier post that people with TE and MPB both grow vellus hairs correct? There are some thin hairs that are growing over a half-inch...and some that are staying at half an inch. Does this indicate that it can still be either TE or MPB? People with TE grow vellus hairs as well right?

I am losing hair all over my head, not just the top or front...it seems to be evenly shedding around the scalp. People with MPB, do they shed all over as well, or usually just the top, back and front?

Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

Here is what I wrote in a message to you:

"Also with TE there are only a few vellus hairs; with MPB, vellus hairs are prominent in the thinning areas."

Everyone has some vellus hairs but men with male pattern baldness have many of them where the old terminal hair used to be. By terminal hair I mean thick, fully pigmented hair.

"I am losing hair all over my head, not just the top or front...it seems to be evenly shedding around the scalp."

This does seem to be the description of TE but you never can be 100% sure.

Jay

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thanks! What about the hairs that are growing and are thin? I mentioned that there were a few strands that are growing longer than an inch but are thin along my forehead. What does this mean? Do they become thicker over time?

Rachel G
Username: Rachel155

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom and members,

I am a 26-yr-old female who has been losing scalp hair since the age of 22. I went through a similar shedding period at 18 when I was recovering from an eating disorder. At that point, my hair wasn't as thin as it is now, and the shedding slowed (but never really returned to a "normal" amount of shedding).

I became a vegetarian at 21 and kept up this lifestyle until I was 25. I started eating meat at that point because I had started to feel extremely lethargic and figured the lack of protein in my diet was the reason why. However, my meat consumption was minimal and I had completely cut red meat out of my diet since I was 16. By 24 my hair was different. It was falling out more (but not in chunks like when I was 18). I finally went to see a dermatologist last April (right before my 26th bday) and he told me my hair loss was AGA. He gave me some Rogaine and told me to come back for testing. I didn't like that so I saw a doctor at the University of Chicago who also told me it was AGA, but sent me in for testing. She called me back a few days later to let me know my ferritin levels were 13, which I guess is low, and recommended iron pills, but still felt it was AGA. Then I went in to have the tests done that the first doc requested and he also told me my iron was way too low and that he felt if I raised levels my hair growth would return to normal and that I was losing my hair because of the low iron and that it wasn't AGA.

I should also mention that despite not having the eating disorder, I am still underweight and lost a lot of weight when I became a vegetarian (about 15 lbs - making me 5'5" 105 lbs). I have yet to gain that weight back even though I am eating normally again.

I also became pregnant over the summer, but lost the pregnancy after 7 weeks. During the pregnancy I saw a ton of regrowth in the areas I lost my hair. About a month and a half after losing the pregnancy, my scalp broke out in a horrible rash and I lost all that regrowth. The hair all over my head also fell out in "handfuls."

I saw a scalp doctor at the University of Chicago when I had the awful rash and was losing hair like crazy. He told me I have a lot of hair and that no one could tell I was losing my hair just by looking at me. He said that I was most likely experiencing telogen effluvium from the pregnancy and that if I raised my iron levels my hair growth would return to normal. He said I was too young to have AGA, especially because all my test levels were "normal" except for my iron (and my testosteron levels were below normal, but that would be a plus for my hair, right?). He encouraged me to eat more meat and take better care of myself.

Now the loss has stabilized everywhere but my temples (where I saw the most regrowth during the pregnancy). The sides of my head are still shedding, but it's slowed down by about half (2 months after the initial shedding started).

Given my history, my question is, could this be telogen effluvium that I have been experiencing for the past several years, or is it more likely to be AGA? I have no history of balding in my family (although my dad's hair has thinned as he's gotten older, but he's not bald). My hair seems to be thinning all over, with accentuation at my hairline (all of my hair line, including at my neck and behind my ears).

I should also note, I suddenly have short hairs of about the same length that stick up all over the top part of my head. It looks like my hair is static-y when it's not. I can't get them to lie down and behave either.

Would love to hear anyone's opinion on what's going on with my hair as I am so confused and have gotten a few different diagnoses from doctors. (Also, sorry this was so long, but I have quite a long history of hair loss!!).

Thanks much!

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rachel G:

These are just some ideas to think about and research. I would definitely spend some time in the library on these.

"She called me back a few days later to let me know my ferritin levels were 13, which I guess is low, and recommended iron pills..."

The normal range for women is between 12 and 150 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter). You just squeaked into the normal range but this shouldn't give you much comfort. To really have a shot at growing back luxuriant hair, you should try to get that number up to 70 or higher. I suppose iron pills might do the trick - however, there is a downside potential to this. You can overdose on supplemental iron. Also the iron is pills is not absorbed as well as it is from red meat. There are enzymes in red meat like lysine that aid in the absorption of iron. And it's best to bring your serum ferritin level up slowly. Eating real food like iron-rich meat is best. There is iron in vegetables too but it is not absorbed well from these sources.

Many things keep iron from being absorbed well: too much cellulose in the diet, too much coffee or tea, increased intestinal mobility, and more.

"I am still underweight and lost a lot of weight when I became a vegetarian (about 15 lbs - making me 5'5" 105 lbs). I have yet to gain that weight back even though I am eating normally again."

If you are under 18 percent body fat, your hormones are going to be out of balance. For example you stop menstruating and your bones become brittle. (Women marathon runners have these problems.) Hair follicles don't function well when the hormone levels are skipping around. It's also near impossible to carry a pregnancy to term if your body fat ratio is low.

"Given my history, my question is, could this be telogen effluvium that I have been experiencing for the past several years..."

Even experienced dermatologists have difficulty in making a differential diagnosis. TE and AGA have some of the same symptoms in the early stages. You do have several triggers for TE though. The more triggers you have, the longer it usually takes to recover from this form of hair loss.

Good diet as I'm sure you already know helps speed up the recovery process. Read this article on my website - The Anti-inflammatory Diet. Inflammation is often a factor in all hair loss problems. The suggestions in this article might cut down possible subclinical inflammation around your hair follicles.

Rachel G
Username: Rachel155

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

Thanks for the response. I am kind of beginning to lose hope though. I feel like I recently lost so much hair that if I lose any more, I'll be bald! When I look at the top of my head under bright lighting, I can now see through to my scalp in some spots. And at my temples, I have skin that has suddenly been exposed in just the past few months. It's not drastic, but it's definitely been sudden.

The hair on my right side has thinned much faster than on my left. My scalp is also very tingley in the areas I lost/am still losing the hair (but this has not been typical of the loss I was experiencing prior to losing the pregnancy). I should have also noted that at my forehead hair line, I have thick dark hair (all the same length - about 2 1/2 inches) growing in, but they're not close together. If my hair were like needles on a pine tree, it would be like every other needle had fallen out.

Has anyone else out here experienced anything like this?

Jay

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Rachel,

I have experienced some of those effects that you mentioned. I have this tingly feeling on some areas of my scalp, and my left side is shedding a lot more than my right. I am also growing some thin hairs in my forehead line...but they are also very far apart. I am losing many hairs a day...and I am also afraid that i will be bald soon, although i know its a very gradual process, and so if i were to become bald, it probably wont be for another couple of years, even though it seems like i could be bald next month. I'm not sure what it is...i did suffer from a lot of stress in the past year and i am hoping that that is what it is and that it will grow back eventually, but lately...i'm beginning to think that there is nothing i can do, and that I will Inevitably become bald, or continue losing hair, i have no history of baldness in my family, so I hope its just temporary. I am still hanging to the thought that it might all grow back...my doctor's all say that it will...but what do they know. I hope whatever you are experiencing is only temporary as well, i know how it feels...it sucks.

Can anyone else give some thought to our discussion? Tom?

Jay

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

For someone who does not yet know the real cause of their hair loss problem (Telogen Effluvium or MPB), would you still recommend Minoxidil or Provillus to me? I am beginning to notice the thining a lot more than before now and I am beginning to get desperate. You said that Telogen Effluvium can last 6 months to 72 months, and that just because my family has no history of baldness does not nessacerily mean that i do not have a predisposition for it. Therefore I have no idea what the cause of this hair loss is. I've been to 3 dermatolgoists, and they all tell me to wait it out...its been a year and a half, and I am still shedding, even more now. But I am willing to try some remedies given that they do not do my hair any more harm that it is already taking.

Please advise Tom. Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

Provillus is just Minoxidil with some other stuff thrown in to build up the price. This is from the official Provillus website: "We add a nourishing blend of natural herbs and minerals to the formula for men. These herbs and minerals support and provide nourishment to nourish your scalp and hair."

It's doubtful if topically applied herbs and minerals "nourish you scalp and hair."

You wrote, "You said that Telogen Effluvium can last 6 months to 72 months, and that just because my family has no history of baldness does not nessacerily mean that i do not have a predisposition for it."

I was just quoting a dermatologist as to the time frame for TE. And this dermatologist was probably just quoting someone else's opinion. That's how the game is played.

There is definitely a genetic predisposition for male pattern baldness, but I don't know if there is a genetic predisposition for TE. TE is caused by triggers like sudden weight loss, drugs like Accutane, anorexia and bulemia, and prolonged psychological stress, although this is a low-probability cause.

I can't advise you what to do because I don't know what form of hair loss you really have. Is it male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), telogen effluvium, or chronic telogen effluvium? It's hard to make a differential diagnosis, especially in the early stages of hair loss. Of course, a year and a half in your case is not an "early stage."

Jay

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. I guess in order for me to determine what sort of remedy is appropriate, I must first determine what the cause is right? I have been to many dermatologists, and they all say that the most probable cause is the emotional and psychological stress that I went through, and it wasn't just a minor case of stress, may i add, it was pretty heavy on me. Anyways, I have given up wasting my time seeing doctors...they all say the same thing, and it doesn't seem like they really care to help. They say that I am fine and that I have a full set of hair...which maybe true to the naked eye (for now)...but I see it falling out and feel it everyday. My dad is a GP, and he tells me that I shouldn't have MPB, and that it is probably only stress which will grow back in time. I don't know if he is just trying to make me feel better or not, but he is not a specialist and so eventhough he may think he's right, he just might not be...of course i would hope that he is accurate.

All my siblings, cousins, grandparents, parents all have a full set of hair. It would be rare or unfortunate for me to be the only one who has inherited MPB right? Like i said, 2-3 months after the time the stressful event occurred, thats when I began shedding...doesn't this fit the description of TE? Is it a possibility that it could be chronic TE? Is it possible that someone suffering from TE or CTE would still be shedding after a year and a half? Your thoughts?

How can I determine and find out what the cause is? Is there some sort of test I can take?

Thanks Tom, this is something i just cannot give up on, I need to know exactly what it is so that I can work on fixing it. I'm sure you understand how badly this can affect a person.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

Severe TE that takes many months to abate is usually the result of multiple triggers. Without getting too specific, what was the kind of psychological stress you experienced? Was there any other possible trigger along with this?

Jay

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

The event occurred in August 2007, it was very sudden and shocking, it was pretty drastic from the typical stress I would usually experience...I couldn't sleep or eat for months. I was constantly depressed and stressed out for majority of the days for a few months. I've never been so depressed or stressed out in my life. I began smoking and drinking to get drunk regularly for 4-5 months to help with the pain. My diet was a mess, and I stopped exercising for at least 3 months, and I always exercised regularly before that. In November 2007, thats when i began shedding and it hasn't gotten any better. I believe that the stress has not completely gone away just yet. When i think about it, I still get a little stressed out again, but obviously nothing near as much as before. I have definitely gotten better, but the stress is still lingering in the back of my mind. I have returned to my normal pattern of maintaining good health. I exercise and play sports daily, I eat properly, take many vitamins daily, and I get more sleep than before. Although I still drink once a week at parties...I've cut down significantly. I don't smoke anymore either. I'd say after the end of March 2008 was when I pretty much stopped this negative lifestyle and I began going back to maintaining a healthier one.

Your Thoughts?

Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3714
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

You wrote, "I've never been so depressed or stressed out in my life. I began smoking and drinking to get drunk regularly for 4-5 months to help with the pain. My diet was a mess, and I stopped exercising for at least 3 months, and I always exercised regularly before that."

The multiple triggers you describe could certainly bring on TE. No one can give you a realistic time frame of recovery from this form of hair loss though. That 12 to 72 months estimate really is meaningless. Dermatologists just toss it out because they know that patients want some kind of answer to that pressing question.

The hopeful thing is that the overwhelming majority of people with TE do recover after the triggers are removed and a healthy life style is resumed. You evidently have resumed your healthy lifestyle.

Jay

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

How's it going? Hope all is well.

Since we've last spoke, I decided I wasn't going to stress myself out with my hair loss issue anymore, so I left it alone but I continued to take Proscar (finisteride every other 2 days) and still is to this day hoping that it will cure itself. For one whole month in January, I noticed that the shedding had significantly decreased, I was obviously happy about this...but in February, it began shedding again. I am still unclear whether or not I have TE or MBP or something else, all I know is that I've been consistently shedding for about a year and a half now and although its not obvious to the naked eye, I definitely notice the decrease in density and thickness of my hair. I have been on finisteride and Biotin vitamin B pills for about 7-8 months now.

My question is:

Since its already been 8-9 months of finisteride therapy and still no positive effects, is it safe to conclude that it is not working?

You stated that TE can last for a very long time, but in my case, with an approximate time of a year and a half of shedding and still shedding with no sign of hair re-growth, would you say that it is safe to assume that TE is out of the question?

what do you think?

Thanks Tom.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

The time frame for TE is elastic. This form of hair loss can last three years and beyond even though this is unusual. The best way to determine if you really have TE is to examine the triggers. If you've had none of the following triggers, you probably don't have TE:

Diet deficiencies - Such as lack of vitamins or minerals and particularly iron

Crash dieting - Starves hair follicles of nutrients they require to grow

Hormones/Pregnancy/Childbirth - Abnormal hormone levels in women especially during and after pregnancy, or a lack of nutrients as the embryo is a drain on supply

Fever induced alopecia - High body temperatures, in response to infectious chronic disease, stresses dividing cells of the hair follicle and they respond with reduced activity

Ultra violet (UV) radiation - Low dose UV radiation may destroy some of the sensitive hair follicle cells and slow down growth activity

Acute blood loss - Blood loss effectively starves the hair follicles of nutrients forcing them into reduced activity

Drugs - Including coumarin, heparin, propanolol, excessive vitamin A intake and many others

Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism - Thyroid hormones have a profound affect on hair follicle activity

Neonatal effluvium - Newborns may have diffuse hair loss in the first few months of life

Extreme physical stress such as surgery - Surgery places extreme physical and emotional stress on the individual and can lead to telogen effluvium

Emotional stress - Chronic emotional stress or sudden shock can adversely affects hair follicles although the mechanism by which it works is not known

Severe illness - Severe acute or chronic illness will alter the normal functioning of the body and this may have an impact on hair follicles

All of the above are taken from Kevin McElwee's website - Keratin.com. The more triggers you have, the more likely it is that you have TE; and also the more triggers you have, the longer it takes to recover.

Jay

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI Tom,

Thanks for your response. Like I have mentioned before, I definitely experienced some emotional stress which led to excessive smoking and alcohol consumption, although I have rid these habits, I still continue to shed. Its been about a year and a half now, and still a lot of shedding, although its all over the scalp, there seems to be more shedding on the top and the back of the head. It is beginning to get even more thin then before. I have been taking proscar for about 8 months now, and no positive results...I am beginning to believe that finisteride is not helping me. Does it usually take this long to take effect? When someone has TE, does it shed more or less in comparison to someone with MPB? Or is the symptoms similar?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

Finasteride will probably not help someone who definitely has TE. Sometimes minoxidil can speed up the process of recovery though. Good health habits, which include good diet, is the most reliable way to speed up recovery from TE.

"When someone has TE, does it shed more or less in comparison to someone with MPB?"

With TE the shedding is diffuse - hairs are shed equally all over the scalp; with MPB the shedding is in a characteristic pattern. But the "more or less" question is impossible to answer because the shed rate is different for each individual.

Jay

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

I am definitely not shedding in the U pattern, but I am shedding a lot regardless, especially on the top and the back of the head. Also, i don't seem to be receding at all, but again, my hair is a lot less dense and thick than it was a year and a half ago.

I am starting notice that some of the hairs that are falling off seem to be vellus hairs or hairs that are very thin...is this a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing relevant at all?

I began noticing a lot of shedding approximately 3-4 months after the stress-triggered event, about a year and a half ago. Because I am still shedding the same amount of hair or maybe more, can we still assume that this is TE? Or is it still difficult to tell?

Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

"Because I am still shedding the same amount of hair or maybe more, can we still assume that this is TE? Or is it still difficult to tell?"

Even skilled dermatologists with years of experience find it hard to make a differential diagnosis. In the early stages of hair loss TE and MPB have many of the same characteristics.

"I am starting notice that some of the hairs that are falling off seem to be vellus hairs or hairs that are very thin...is this a good thing, a bad thing, or nothing relevant at all?"

It's hard to say. One thing for sure - thin hairs do not "become" terminal hairs, that is, hairs that are thick in diameter and fully pigmented. If progress is being made, vellus hairs fall out and are replaced by intermediate or terminal hairs. That's the way the hair cycle works. It's usually a long process - many months. Don't ask me how many. It's too depressing.

Jay

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Just a question, my fontline does not seem to be receding, but it is definitely thining out a lot, especially on the back approaching towards the top, and it is getting very noticeable in the mirror. My question is, is this way of losing hair be a normal characteristic to T.E. or a normal characteristic of MBP?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

The type of hair loss that is most characteristic of TE is an all-over, diffuse pattern. If you are losing more hair in one or two specific areas, you probably are in the early stages of MPB.

Jay

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

So it is possible for TE to eventually turn to MBP? I believe I started with TE (from the stress I mentioned before), now I believe it may have developed into something else, but again I am still not sure. I still seem to be shedding all over, but specially in the back, the top and the front of the head. It seems to be evenly shedding throughout the head. I am still losing in the lower sides and the lower back of the head, but it is not as bad. These hairs fall out when I gently run my hands through my hair, or in the shower, mostly when I gel my hair in the morning. I have been shedding for over a year and a half now. It will be 2 years in Nov. Earlier, you explained that TE can last many years. Is it more likely that I have CTE rather then MBP? I understand it is hard to determine which I have, but given my overall circumstances, what do you think?

A quick recap: Experienced a very emotional and stressful time in August 2007 which led to more-than-occasional drinking, smoking, lack of sleep, bad eating habits which all lasted for 6-8 months. Began losing hair in Nov 2007 (3 months after triggered event). No family histoy of baldness at all. experiencing itchy scalp (never had an itchy scalp before shedding started). Hairlines are not receding, but hair is thinning. Hairs falling out have white bulb club-like shape on the root, etc.

Is it possible for someone who has CTE or TE be shedding this long? And if it is CTE, will it grow back eventually?

Thanks Tom.

Dan H
Username: Pastacrazy

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a 19 year old male that's unsure what type of hair loss I have.
For a couple of years now I've had a bit of a receding hairline and a small thin patch on my crown, but nothing too major and the rest of my hair was thick and fine. Recently though (within the last year) my hair has got progressively worse. The receding hairline is noticeable a mile away and the thin patch is slightly bigger now. I know these are classic symptoms of MPB but ive also noticed the whole of my scalp become much thinner. The back and the sides not as much, but I can still tell they're not as thick as they used to be.
I've never really been great at coping with stress, and from 16+ when I started exams I feel this stress was what might have caused the original receding hairline and hair thinning? Within the last year however I've been under much more stress what with Uni and also the fact that I've noticed just how bad my hair is. I feel it isn't a co-incidence that my hair has become dramatically worse over the last 10 or so months due to this stress, even if the pattern of hair loss signals more of a genetic hair loss condition.
Please could you tell me your views on what you think is the cause of my hair loss and feel free to ask me anymore questions about it that you may need to? Also, is there any chance of my hair returning to how it used to be, or at least some sign of regrowth?

Thanks

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike G:

You've been reading about telogen effluvium so I'm sure you know that the shedding of eyelash, eyebrow, and body hair is characteristic of this form of hair loss. With male pattern baldness there is no such shedding.

"I've decided to take the summer off from school and head home to basically relax my body and mind completely and get as healthy as I can for the next 3 months."

This is a great idea. Just don't let those "unbearable events and stress" take hold of you again. It really is possible with mental discipline to overcome some of these destructive patterns of thought.

Read up on the right balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in your diet. Keeping omega-3 high and omega-6 low is one factor in a fast recovery from TE. Be sure you are getting enough iron and B12 in your diet too, preferably from red meat.

Jay

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

I also seem to be shedding a little from my eyebrows. Not so much my eyelashes or body hairs that I notice. If someone is experiencing TE, does shedding of the body (beside head) occur definitely?

I have been shedding for over a year and a half now and the shedding has been consistent, although some days it will be a lot less than other days, but regardless I am still losing hair everyday and it seems to be everywhere but especially on the top, back and front.

Even at this point, it is still not determined what I have. It all started off with everything pointing towards TE, but now after all this time...it is still hard to distinguish.

Tom, in your experience have you ever met someone who has been shedding for over a year and have all their hair grow back eventually? You've mentioned that shedding from TE may take years to recover. Is it possible that i may have developed CTE?

Thanks.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike G:

Surgery with a large loss of blood is also a primary cause of TE. This can deplete the iron stores in the body.

Jay

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike G,

Thanks for your insight. I have been consistently shedding for about a year and a half and from what you said, you've already been shedding for about 6 months (the generous time frame for TE recovery)? Hopefully you will start to notice the shedding gradually decreasing and finally see some regrowth. The thing is, I am not losing too much or at all at the temples, but mainly on the top and back of the head...which is pretty weird because it is just thinning and not receding. I had a lot of hair to begin with, and maybe thats why the loss in density isn't as noticeable to others as it is to me. Its a tough situation to go through, but I am trying to be optimistic about all this and believe that I will make a full recovery soon enough, if not a full recovery, then hopefully most of it will grow back but like you said all we can do is wait. I'm not as young as you, but young enough to know that I shouldn't be balding at this age. Plus, my family has absolutely NO history of baldness or MPB. In fact, most of my older male cousins, uncles, even my brother all have a full set of hair. I seem to be the only one who is losing. Sucks I know! I blame it all on stress. Before that stress-triggered experience that I went through, I never lost any hair that I noticed and the fact that the stress prolonged did not help either I guess. Although I am not stressing about that anymore, I am stressing about losing hair...ironic I know.

I do hope you're right about how the shedding patterns in MPB are the same as the patterns in TE. Because its hard to determine what it is I have or have developed. According to Tom, the duration of TE can last many years but recovery is definite, hopefully my case is just a more extreme case of TE rather than MBP. I would hate to know that the stress I went to through caused TE and eventually developed into something more serious like MBP...that would bother me forever.

You are still in the early stages of hair loss, and so I believe you have nothing to worry about at this point. If it is in fact TE, then you should be on the way to recovery soon enough. Just stay positive...stressing more about it won't help, I know its easier said than done...but just continue to fight man. I to feel for anyone going through this, its not an easy situation to live through thats for sure.

Mike G
Username: Migvez

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay--

thanks for the words.. I definitely feel you on the fact that it would be extremely hard to cope with knowing we personally caused a permanent hair loss due to our stress.. we can't even blame genetics but our own stupid minds for letting something take hold of us.

My family is also one with full heads of hairs.. my grandfather who just walked in the door is 70 and he has a complete and full mane its ridiculously nice haha.. my uncles in their 40s have full thick sets of hair as well.. and just back in December I too had a perfect head of hair ahh man its sad looking back at pictures..

It just is a truly shitty situation to be in. if we had a broken arm, we could go the doctor and get it fixed. if something was wrong with our car, we could take it to get a mechanic and get it fixed. with TE theres nothing at all like that which makes it all the more frustrating.

I'll be at 6 months at the end of June and I'm hoping the shedding slows itself and I can start having some regrowth. crap I'm 21 this sucks.

I've read all your previous posts and everything from the intense stressor to the time frame of the start of the shedding all seems to indicate TE to me.. I hope you start seeing some improvement soon.

Jay

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike G,

Its a pretty messed up situation, I've been stressing over this for so long now, I just want it to end you know? Thanks, I do hope its just some longer form of T.E. and not MPB, but all I can do right now is wait it out. You're still pretty young, I'm sure you'll start to see some regrowth very soon. keep me posted about that by the way!

Just this morning I pulled out 12 strands of hair (the ones I noticed) while in the shower. Although I've been shedding consistently throughout the last year, the average hair that falls out everyday is pretty inconsistent - some days I would lose 20-30 strands in the shower and some days I would lose 5-10. Its very discouraging because right when I start to believe that the shedding has decreased or slowed down, I lose like 30 the next day while washing my hair.

I've read something about Jojoba Oils recently and I've also read something about horse hair shampoo.

Mike G, Tom - do you believe any of these may help me?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jay:

I've seen no convincing scientific studies about the value of jojoba or emu oils in halting hair loss or in promoting the growth of new hair. These are both good oils, though, in the sense that they are not inflammatory. No shampoo, horse hair or otherwise, will halt hair loss. Shampoos, no matter what the advertising suggests, just clean your hair. My belief is that you should not over-shampoo your hair.

Everyone loses at least 50 hairs each day. This is completely normal. In healthy scalps, these hairs are replaced when they are lost. Read about the hair cycle - Three Stages of the Hair Cycle. You have to understand this concept if you want to understand the dynamics of hair biology.

Jay

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your quick response. In addition to my hairloss issue, I am also experiencing an itchy scalp, this all started when I began losing hair, I also get a tingly feeling on my head every once and awhile which I never felt until the shedding started. Would Jojoa oil help with the itchy scalp problem?

I do understand the dynamics of the hair cycle, since I've been researching on hairloss for so long now, but its the fact that even though I see all these hairs fall off daily, I see no regrowth which follows.

I was reading up on some articles describing that Provillus and Procerin are very good products, from your experience do you believe these products can help me in anyway (keep in mind that I am still unsure if I am suffering from TE or MPB)?

adam paul
Username: Adampaul

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike and Jay,

Reading both of your stories was helpful. I my self am only 22, and I'm currently suffering from what I believe to be TE. I went on a course of accutane I purchased online without a prescription, And after taking it for 6 months (what I read was a normal time period) I persisted to take it for an EXTRA 6 months just to be sure acne would never come back again. Of course, during the end of the year while taking it I noticed hundreds of hairs falling out each day.

This was last summer, and I'm still losing hair to this day, the shedding has not stopped yet. I too have a Double Crown as well, so I know exactly what you're talking about! I too also keep my head shaved. It's at the point now where if I don't keep it shaved, it doesn't matter what the lighting is - you can always see right through my hair onto my scalp. It was only the back that was very thin for the longest time, but now the temples have caught up as well.

Mike or Jay, one of you mentioned how its painful to think we brought this on our selves through stress. Well, I for one know for a fact I brought it on my self by taking an ridiculously long and unhealthy course of accutane. Derms don't ever prescribe it for more than 6 months at a time, I doubled that. I thought I'd be fine because my hair was incredibly thick - I guess not.

Anyway, even though it's painful, we have to take every situation life throws us and see it as a learning lesson. I my self have taken complete control of my diet since this has happened, I eat only the healthiest of foods, and avoid almost all inflammatory foods on the market (except a little brown sugar in my coffee) That means I don't eat any white bread, white potatoes, white rice, pasta's, you name it - if it's white I don't eat it. I've also been pushing my self to exercise daily, an have a pretty killer beach body at the moment.

It is hard to always see the positives in these situations though. I used to think being 5'5" and male with acne was as bad as it could get. Boy was I wrong! It sure teaches us to appreciate what we have.

I believe with everything in me, that since we had thick hair at one point, no matter how long it appears to be taking - as long as we learn the lesson life is trying to give us, we'll get back what we've lost. That I'm sure of.

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Friday, June 05, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This thread is getting too long - too much scrolling. Click Possible telogen effluvium, page 7 to continue the conversation. I start it off with a list of triggers for TE.