Drug Induced Hair Loss? HELP, page 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Other Hair Loss Problems » Drug Induced Hair Loss? HELP, page 2 « Previous Next »

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a fresh page to post comments and questions on this topic.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Im going to try to make a long story short, which is very hard to do. In October of 2004 I noticed that my hairline on the right side had receded maybe about a 1/4 of an inch. Everything else regarding my hair was completely fine and maybe my hairline had always been like that but I had never noticed it . I had no vellus hairs or anything. I immediatlely started looking online for "solutions" and found Procerin. I made the MISTAKE of buying a 3 month supply even though I found out later that it does nothing for hairlines. I started taking it at the beginning of October and within 3 weeks to a month intense diffuse shedding began. Upwards of 250-300 hairs a day. I could run my hands through my hair vigorously and within a minute I would have 100 hairs laying in the sink. I would shed like crazy in the shower and everywhere else. THIS WAS TRAUMATIZING. I took Procerin for 2 1/4 months and then made my 2nd huge mistake. I started taking Propecia. I stopped taking Procerin towards the end of December and started taking Propecia. Granted, this whole time I'm shedding on average 250-300 hairs a day, and I did count them. I stayed on Propecia till the beginning of March and then I got tired of all of the crap and quit it all. Now check this out, 2-3 weeks after I stop taking the Propecia the shedding STOPS. I now only shed maybe 2 or 3 hairs in the shower and can run my hands through my hair for an hour and maybe 1 hairs comes out. I am not shedding at all anymore so my guess is it had to be the Procerin and Propecia. And listen to this, I was looking at the Procerin bottle, and they have you take 3 pills a day, which equals 1500 mg. OF SAW PALMETTO A DAY!!!Tom, i believe you said people should only take 150-200 mg. a day max. Could this overdose of Saw Palmetto disturbed my hormones so much for those 2 1/2 months that it perhaps killed many of my follicles???? I shed in those 5 months about 60% of my hair on top, and little has grown back. Problem is that my hair is so thin up top that when my hair is wet most of what you see is scalp. Before I ever took any of this stuff I never shed a hair and had the thickest hair ever. Procerin and Propecia were POISON to my hair. Tom, what happened to my hair? I think perhaps it has gotten maybe a little thicker since March but I doubt it, and I went to the Dermatologist and he thinks that the Saw Palmetto could have triggered the shedding and then I became so stessed about the shedding that it made it worse and that I had TE. I have been doing your SE's for almost 2 weeks now and am only shampooing 2-3 times a week. I am hoping to see progress sometime in the future. Has this ever happened to anyone when they took this stuff and did your hair get thick again after you got off it???? Does anybody have any ideas????

Paul z
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous: Sounds like MPB in the making, but if your scalp doesn't feel like fire, then your lucky in that regard. When I had shedding of that intensity, my scalp was so inflammed, I needed to be medicated and sedated. Tom knows more about it.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Crazt question but, what does SE stand for? I've noticed a few people saying that "they have been doing your SE's" for a few weeks now... What does this mean?

Hairdude101
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Scalp Exercises

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 24 years old and I have been takine tetracycline for about 5 months now. I am starting to see lots of thinning in my scalp region. Is this the problem and is it permenant? Should I use some type of hair care product to help such as rogain? I would really appreciate all of the information that I can get on this topic.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Are you taking systemic tetracycline? (There are also topical and ophthalmic tetracyclines.) Systemic tetracycline as well as other antibiotics taken for long periods of time will kill off intestinal flora. These intestinal flora help the body synthesize vitamins that are essential for healthy hair. The body's ability to absorb vitamin C is also reduced by continued antibiotic use. When you go into the sun, be careful to wear a cap because tetracycline makes your skin sensitive to the sun. You do not want to get a sunburn on your scalp.

Why have you been taking an antibiotic for such a long time? Is it to control an infection or to control acne? Using an antibiotic for a long period of time can actually cause recurrent infections because it can promote the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

My opinion is that once you are off the antibiotic your hair will come back. But talk to your doctor before you do anything. Be skeptical about advice you get on the Internet (including mine). Do some reading and make your own evaluation.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom: I am taking the antibiotic by mouth. It is 500mg and I am supposed to be taking two times a day. I have only been taking it once though because twice seems to make my stomach upset. I am taking it for acne. I have found that tetracycline (what I am on now)and amoxicillin (what I used to be on)are the only things that can stop the acne from reappearing. I am supposed to continue taking the tetracycline for another six months. I have already stopped taking it. I would rather battle with acne than loose my hair. I have always had very thick hair and in a matter of months it has become very thin. Hopefully it will grow back without any special treatments. Have you ever heard anything about amoxicillin causing hair thinning? My hair was in great shape when I took it. I have also read that we need vitamins for our hair to grow well, but I have also read (on this webpage) that vit A is bad for hair. What vitamins are good for the hair and what are bad? Thanks for your time and concern.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

You wrote, "I have found that tetracycline (what I am on now)and amoxicillin (what I used to be on)are the only things that can stop the acne from reappearing."

My opinion is that you have not looked hard enough. There are many diets (things to avoid and things to eat) that clear up acne or prevent its reappearance. My suggestion is to give up any transfats in your present diet for starters. Go to Google and type acne in the search box. You'll find a lot of informative material. If you're highly motivated to get rid of your acne, you will read and digest some of this material. If you're not highly motivated or just plain lazy, you'll continue to pop pills.

Most doctors will never take the time to lay out a good diet for you. Prescribing a pill is easier. And probably most doctors know that people won't follow a strict diet anyway.

Go to Nutrition on my website. I give some suggestions on diet for hair loss here, but for severe acne you need a more specialized diet.

nobodyimportant
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,
Just a quick note to add to the discussion...
Yes, drugs can induce hair loss. Lorazepam, ativan, and many others state in their side-effects lit that hair loss is a possible outcome.

Yes, doctors usually pooh-pooh your complaints and say it is "hereditary" or "hormonal" or "something else..." They don't want to hear about something that they cannot account for or help (hair loss).

The best way to test whether the drugs are causing hair loss is to, if possible to do so without harming your health, STOP the drugs for a few months. Does your hair seem to be "coming back"?! If so, add 2+2 on your own, regardless of what the literature or docs say... Then decide whether you NEED the drugs and can tolerate living with the hair-consequences...

Good luck.

Vicki Harris
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been on Fentanyl, Suboxone, Cymbalta, Topamax, Flexeril, Naproxen, Westhroid...a bunch of others they took me off of also. I wash my hair a really you can make a wig with what comes out. I cry and now have lost 3/4 of my hair. I am 55 and take vitamins. Also codliver oil, hair vitamins, pre-natal even, garlic, calcium, minerials. I am going to get that rogain like I have been reading here to jump start my hair. In my list does anyone know if these drugs are causing my hair loss. Some I have been on 2 years and some a year. I would like to know which one is the evil culprit! My hair is past my waist and going down the drain. HELP PLEASE

Sheryl Chewning
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 49 yrs. old and have been taking premphase (conjugated estrogens/medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets) for 6 months now. Two months ago, I started noticing a thinning of my hair on my scalp near my bangs. I now notice thinning at my temples. For one week, I have had tingling on my scalp where the thinning is occuring. Could this be drug-induced? If it is, is it reversible when I stop taking the drugs (I stopped tonight). I can't get in to see a dermatologist for 2 months and I'm afraid I will be bald before I see her, plus my tingling scalp is nerve-racking. Thanks so much for your help- my son is getting married in 6 months and I don't want to walk up the aisle bald.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I take so many pills. I just turned 38 years old and my hair has turned so thin. It comes and goes in spurts. I take the medications topamax,wellbutrin,xanax,.I have been taking wellbutrin for 18 years so I didn't even know it was a problem in till I started reading about hair loss. I take 400mg Topamax a day I really think that is what is causing the problem. I quit awhile ago and I noticed my hair coming right back.Another problem is I colored my hair from red to blond. Big mistake! No more. I can't believe how depressed this has made me. I was exercising and I looked at my hair it was so thin I just wanted to quit.I had the longest thick hair. What gets me is how dishonest the doctors are about the whole issue. I have been seeing the same doctor for 10 years and she must have noticed my hair thining. She just kept giving me the same medications. Topamax ,stress,low carb dieting,severve depression+ being depressed about losing your hair=more hairloss. Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like you're over medicated. what are you asking?

anastasia
Username: Nk52475

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am taking Lamisil to treat my toenails for about 2 month and I noticed very massive hair loss. Is there any connection between this drug and hair loss?
Thank you

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

anastasia:

Novartis Pharmaceuticals, makers of Lamisil, says, "A few cases of hair loss have been reported, although a clear causal relationship remains to be established."

But there are other less favorable evaluations of this drug when it comes to side effects, including hair loss. Go to Google and type "lamisil, hair loss" into the adress bar. You'll find many articles there. Read these on the first page: (PDF) Lamisil and Lamisil and Hair Loss by Dr. William Rassman.

anastasia

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, I searched Google and I read that article and many others. And I went today to see my doctor for my blood test and he told me the same and that my hair should be even better and there shouldn't be hair loss as a side effect by taking Lamisil. I don't know what to think, it's just make me very depressed. I take vitamins, eat healthy, my blood test is perfect. May be it's hormones?
Thank you

anastasia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One more question. I am sure I am loosing my hair because of Lamisil. Will my hair grow back after I stop medication? Please give me an answer, I am just driving myself crazy- take Lamisil and treat my nail or loose hair. I have one more month to take it. I don't know what to do.
Thank you

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

anastasia:

The hair loss that people experience triggered by certain drugs is telogen effluvium (TE). This form of hair loss is not permanent. The problem is, though, that it can take from six months to over a year before your hair starts to come back and look the way it was before.

Good diet can speed up the process of recovery. And that doesn't mean loading up on vitamin pills. It means eating nutritious foods and avoiding junk foods.

anastasia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you, made me feel a little bit better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.