Teen Hair Loss (Shedding)? Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Other Hair Loss Problems » Teen Hair Loss (Shedding)? « Previous Next »

Whitney
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm 14 years old, and my hair has always been perfect. I have long, thick, straight, dark brown hair and the first thing any one ever says to me when they meet me is to comment on how they love my hair. However, recently my hair has been shedding quite a lot. After I shower and brush my hair it seems like tons of hair comes out. Is this normal shedding or am I balding and should be worried about it? I live in Florida, and so it's always hot and humid, could this have something to do with it? Please reply soon!!!

Whitney
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also, I forgot to mention this. I recently lost about 25 pounds by going on the South Beach Diet over the summer. I just began school again and so stopped the diet. Because of school, my eating habits are kind of screwed up. For example, for breakfast I'll have a handful or Froot Loops or a half a bagel and a diet coke. For lunch I have water and white cheddar popcorn and a cookie. For a snack I'll have pretzels. For dinner I'll have a meat such as chicken usually and a vegetable. I just began taking vitamins again to try and get more nutrients and hopefully stop shedding so much.

Whitney
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I also blowdry my hair every day. And I use frizz control shampoo and conditioner from Bedhead and I use Dove foam conditioner as well.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Whitney:

You wrote, "I recently lost about 25 pounds by going on the South Beach Diet over the summer."

Losing weight fast can trigger a form of temporary hair called telogen effluvium (TE). If you start eating nutritious foods, your hair will probably return to its former state within six months to a year. Try to get some iron in your diet by eating lean beef a few times a week. Getting sufficient iron will often speed up recovery.

"For lunch I have water and white cheddar popcorn and a cookie. For a snack I'll have pretzels."

That meal won't do much for your general health or for you hair health.

kessu
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, Losing weight...expecially so much can trigger to hair loss, it will take some time but your hair will get better and they will grow back!

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi I am a 13 year old boy i used to have really long hair spikeyish hair last month but then i started to notice my scalp was itching and then my mom told me it was dandruff to then she tells me to use baby oil and a shampoo conditioner to remove it when i look in the mirror it now shows a clean scalp but when i take a shower i still notice my hair still falls off when i shampoo it or even gell it.Can someone help me will i go bald or is this natural because this has never happened to me before and there has been no background of any family members of hairloss.E-mail me at Rhemhie401@comcast.net.HELP WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED THANKYOU!

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's natural for everyone to lose about 50 hairs a day when you shampoo or even when you run your fingers through your hair. If you have a healthy scalp these 50 old hairs will be replaced by new hairs in coming months.

You've been losing these hairs for a long time, but when teenagers spend a lot of time looking at themselves in the mirror and notice hairs in the sink, they start to be concerned. These are called tologen hairs. Losing them is completely natural.

kelvin
Username: Vaedonz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI tom i was diagnosed by my dermatologist,that i was having telogen effluvium which lead to so much of hair loss,my thyroid is fine,the shedding occured 3 yrs ago but till the very today there is still no sign of regrowth although it isn't shedding anymore,my self-esteem had dropped drastically.just to add on to that,3 years ago i loss nearing to up 20 pounds within a month,and i was just 13 then,it seems like the trigger hasn't been removed and i havent got my serrum ferratin level tested too as i am eating healthly with proper meals,just hoping my hair would regrow, as i am just a young teenager :-(

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

kelvin:

Losing weight very quickly is a major trigger for telogen effluvium (TE). TE is seldom a permanent condition but it often takes between one and three years for the condition to resolve itself. A good diet can speed up the process of recovery. Make sure you're getting sufficient iron, omega-3 fatty acid, the B-complex, and all the amino acids (good protein).

kelvin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

but it had already been 4 years(CORRECTION) but still no sign of regrowth ..and how can i ensure that i am getting enough protein? and whats the maximum no. of years i have to wait before regrowth happen??

kelvin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

TOM:

but it had already been 4 years(CORRECTION) but still no sign of regrowth ..and how can i ensure that i am getting enough protein? and whats the maximum no. of years i have to wait before regrowth happen??

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

kelvin:

I can't give you an intelligent answer to either question. You're probably getting enough protein though. The American diet usually has enough complete protein, but it severely is lacking in the omega-3 fatty acids.

Sometimes TE morphs into chronic telogen effluvium. Go to Keratin.com and click on Effluviums in the left frame. Now scroll down to Chronic Telogen Effluvium. Read this article carefully.

Tom C
Username: Tommyboy116

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom, I am a 19 year old male college student, who is experiencing some hair shedding. I have always had thick dark hair, and have never had any problems with hair loss previous to this. It started occuring a about a week and a half to two weeks ago. I noticed in the shower while shampooing my hair, it was shedding and sticking between my finger tips. I am not sure why this is happening. I have been under some stress due to school work, and my diet has been pretty poor because of the food at school and my eating habbits. I had noticed some white spots under my nails, and after research, read that it could be zinc defficency which i had suffered from in the past. I am not taking zinc supplements and multi-vitamins, in hopes that this is in relation to a vitamin deficency. Any thoughts on this, and if it is a vitamin deficency, how long does it take for the vitamins to regulate within your system?

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3189
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom C:

You said, "It started occuring a about a week and a half to two weeks ago." The usual kind of hair loss that occurs in men does not occur in a week or two - one or two years maybe. Prolonged psychological stress rarely causes hair loss, but horrible diet sometimes does.

"I am now taking zinc supplements and multi-vitamins, in hopes that this is in relation to a vitamin deficency."

It's much, much better to get your nutrients from real food instead of supplements. The absorption rate from multi-vitamins is low. If you take a zinc supplement, be sure you are getting enough copper. High intakes of zinc interfere with copper absorption. Copper is important for hair health.

I hope you'll read some of my articles on nutrition starting with - The Anti-inflammatory Diet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.