Telogen Effluvium and Hair Shedding -... Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Other Hair Loss Problems » Telogen Effluvium and Hair Shedding - Please Help! page 2 « Previous Next »

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A fresh page to post messages on this topic.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kathleen Odea:

After a woman gives birth, the hormone levels change drastically. A change in hormone levels often triggers telogen effluvium - the nonpermanent diffuse thinning of the hair. When the body again gets back into balance - when the chemistry regulates itself - the telogen effluvium ceases and the hair comes back. This usually takes several months.

You've been having hair loss for 16 months after giving birth. In rare cases, even after the trigger for TE is gone, the hair loss continues. The hair follicles get into the habit of a short growth (anagen) cycle.

Your serum ferritin level is fine. I'm sure your doctor also ruled out any thyroid or PCOS involvement. What kind of medication are you taking for seborrheic dermatitis?

Sometimes Rogaine used on a short-term basis can reverse the truncated anagen cycle but talk to your doctor about this.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You used the term "short growth cycle". Would you explain what you mean by this. It this part of the telogen effluvium process?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you examine a short hair that has fallen out and it has a tapered end, it means this hair has not been cut. (A hair that has been cut does not have a tapered end.) If this hair is, say, three inches long, it means that the anagen (growing) stage of the hair cycle that produced it was only six months long. Hair grows about a half inch a month.

This short six-month anagen stage is often an indication of impending male pattern baldness. The normal length of the anagen stage of the hair cycle is two to six years. The telogen (resting) stage of the hair cycle usually stays about the same - three months.

Read a detailed description of the hair cycle here - Male Pattern Baldness. Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi.
I've had hair loss for over ten years. Since I was 18. I've always had a generalized thinning on the top. no receding hariline though. I've tryed rogaine in 2002 and noticed over months more shedding.
Believe it or not, at one point i wouldnt wash my head for weeks at a time and never lost any hair it was tthin afrom the intial thinning ten years ago which i suddnely got after a dramtic lung surgery. But it maintained. Then I used Proscar in 97 and had minimal regrowth. Then liek is aid in2002 used rogaine alone.
But stopped. The problem now is since May of 2004 I've been shedding terribly, and had a baruim test and noticed the shedding hasnt led up. So then in May I began to experiment witha home reemdy of a natural selenium, zinc and beta sito steol product with i crushed up and mixed with water and used adropper to put in in my thininng area. I did this becuase Beta sito sterol is suppose to be a DHT inhibitor. anyway my hair losss topped almost right away. Then I was on antibiotics i July and within one week the hair loss came back. I continued to use the herbal soloution on my head from midjuly. However by Mid agust my hia rstarted shedding very badly. I'm really worried now becuase its shedding so bad I just walking or sitting and 20 hirs will just be hanging. Then alst night i massaged my scalp in the nape area and noticed the shorter hairs are falling out too. Now I'm worried it's either Alopica Aerta starting or the herbal soloution i 've used which contaisn selenim is cauing hair loss all over because the liquid mix would drip down the bakc of my head. Does anybody know if Selenium applied directly tot he scalp , crushed pill form, can cause this severe shedding. Im very scared, I've gone to dermotoligst in the past and they never had answers. Now I have to wait until sept 27th to se one and not sure they'll know.
J. in PA

AAR
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

To anyone-
I have had a history with both Teleogen Effluvium and also SD...if anyone has any questions about either I would be happy to help! I know how scary all of this can be...and I am 21, so it has been very scary for me. But please let me know if anyone would like some help or advice. :-)

P.S. My TE happened to me because of thie Depo Provera shot...I DO NOT recommend this to anyone!!!

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone taking Depo Provera should look at this website - Provera.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 28 and I took Wellbutrin from late February through June. While on the medication I also ate according to the McDougal diet, a low-fat vegan diet (I am vegan anyway,) I was mostly eating green leafy veggies, potatoes, and squash, and I lost 25 lbs in 3 months. I began to notice my hair falling out and in July I stopped taking the medicine regularly. In late July I flirted with the Wellbutrin again, but due to fear over losing all my hair, which has continued to fall out, I quit the meds. Now its the end of September and I'm still shedding. My part is noticably larger; I feel like an idiot photoshopping my pictures and now I'm even conscious of not looking down a lot in public. The loss seems to be all over my head, but mostly on top. After looking for information for months online, I was finally led to this site and I've found this informaiton most helpful. I can only assume that the Wellbutrin along with some stress I endured in the spring and summer, and the stress of the weight loss has caused telogen effluvium and I can only hope that it will soon cease. AAR or Tom, or anyone else with insight..what is the next step? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, the one who put me on the Wellbutrin, but she is only a university services doctor (no health insurance) so I don't know what they will have to say to a 20-something woman with hair-loss. Tom keeps refering people to the keratin site, which I've also found helpful, but when does it get to the point where I'm self-diagnosing and how do I keep from making bad decisions? Where can I find information on zinc and selenium? I bought those tonight. Any info would help. Thanks so much. I'm glad to have found this site.

michela

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Michela:

You're a triple threat - antidepressants (Wellbutrin), quick weight loss, and a low-fat [low iron] vegan diet. All three of these factors can be triggers for telogen effluvium, a temporary but bothersome form of diffuse thinning.

"...but when does it get to the point where I'm self-diagnosing?"

Self-diagnosis is not all that bad if you have knowledge about your condition. The university services doctor perhaps will not give you the consideration that you require. A quick recommendation for Wellbutrin will not get the job done.

One simple recommendation that I'll give you is take some supplemental iron if you're a vegan. You probably have a low serum ferritin number. If it is low, you'll probably not get the hair recovery you're looking for.

Becky Harris
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My hairloss started 8/9 years ago after I started Depo Provera injections, I had never suffered hairloss before and had quite thick hair, I lost about half of my hair, put on a stone & a half, stayed on the Depo for a year and my hair has never recovered since. I had a baby nearly 4 yrs ago and lost 52lb in 2 & half years after but my weight has been stable for the last year. I suffered extreme stress last year as my partner was seriously ill & I had to do everything for our children and look after my husband full time, the result was I lost even more hair, up to 200+ a day. I have been taking Florisene for 6months at 72mg a day and have noticed no change in the shedding although this year it has slowed to 50-100+ lost as my husband is now fully recovered. I have extremely heavy periods and eat no red meat only chicken. My serum ferritin level is 23UL, I have no idea what it should be and all my doctor said is it is in normal range. The ranges stated on this site are not UL so I am not sure what my result means. I did not have it measured before starting Florisene. My trichologist thinks it`s caused by stress and heavy periods but my hair has never been the same since Depo and I was really interested to see that this has been the case for others too.If it is the Depo does anyone know what I can do to counteract it, could it still be affecting me all these years later?

Bubba
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is a post to you the young lady who had hair los starting at the age of 16years old. My daughter started hair loss at 14 1/2. I have tried everything. Doctors say its wasnt a big deal. I did take her to a dermitoligst and he said her iron was way to low. We did manage to bring it up. She is now 17 and have very very thin hair. With no new growth. No fine hairs anywhere. The dermitoligst said it was male pattern baldness. I feel in my gut it isnt that. We have been through alot of stress inour family wiht alot of death and being a teenager is not easy. School expects alot from you. I like you have no real answers. I have been giving her lots of vitamins and omega 3. I feel she has cronic Telogen Effluvium. She has club hairs with no new growth. I am sorry you have gone thru so much. My daughter has very little hair but the weird thing is ... it does not bother her. She says there is wigs out there if she ever needs them. That is a weird attitude for me to understand but I am glad I am not dealing with a daughter who does not want to go to school. I feel most doctors do not take it very seriously womens hair loss. Thank you for all your posts they are all very encouraging

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was on the depo shot years ago and it did stop my periods and cause other problems aswell that I didnt know at the time was related to the shot but now do.I am now years later experiancing rapid hair loss ,I have only recently started my periods again and thought that maybe it was the heavy cycles that was causing my iron to drop as my body wasnt used to having them anymore..this is combination with the fact I went on a crash diet and lost nearly 70 lbs in about a 4 month period..I saw a derm and they have put me on 3 iron pills a day,as my iron was very low.I have been taking them since 9/29/04 and have seen no improvement at all..my hair is getting very thin and I have to wear it up in a ponytail just to be less noticable..I got a third shift job aswell thinking maybe I wouldnt have to come in contact with so many people because I am sooo self concious now..I am very worried, it just keeps comming out and all I have to do is run my fingers through it,it has a small bit of white stuff at the ends aswell and has become brittle and the actual hair is thiner aswel..I was actually thinking of going back on the shot to stop my periods again ,thinking that might bring my iron back up..I even made the appt. to do it ,but after reading some of this I dont know what to do..the derm dont even talk to me,he dont give me time to ask ?'s before saying "doing more bloodwork,we'll figure this out" and making a quick exit..does this sound like TE?..should I be doing anything else?..please anyone..help!!

ohh and btw I am only 26 and engaged to be married ,it doesnt help the situation any thinking you may lose loved ones because of massive hairloss wich already has you down.
thanks for listening

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Of course it sounds like TE. You mentioned all the triggers - crash diet and the consequent loss of 70 pounds in four months, low iron (serum ferritin level), hormonal changes because of the shots, and psychological stress (probably a minor factor).

If you read through these two pages on TE, you know what to do and what to expect.

Becky Harris
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have now started eating red meat as well as taking the Florisene and hope that my levels increase. I have noticed that every time I stray off my normal healthy diet (probably due to depression for which the hair loss doesn`t help) and eat a lot of sugary foods my hairloss speeds up. I don`t know if this is coincidence or not but it seems strange that when I cut out sugar my hairloss slows down. I don`t know if this is of any help to anyone but I have now cut sugar out of my diet for good and will see if there is an improvement. To anonymous, I have every sympathy and know exactly what you are going through, it`s a really scary and depressing condition and at times like this you need kindness and understanding but I think it`s important to remember it can improve, i`ve been losing a lot of hair every day for a year now, my serum ferritin level is 23 and it should be over 70 to stop the hairloss, it takes time and a few lifestyle changes but it will get better. Read up and make some changes and hopefully in the next few months you`ll see an improvement. I wish you lots of luck.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Becky Harris:

You wrote, " I have noticed that every time I stray off my normal healthy diet (probably due to depression for which the hair loss doesn`t help) and eat a lot of sugary foods my hairloss speeds up."

Read my little article on insulin resistance in the sidebar on the Nutrition page. People who eat a lot of sugar products often develop insulin resistance. There is a correlation between insulin resistance and hair loss according to an article in J. Lancet.

Becky Harris
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you Tom, I have read the sidebar as you said and was very interested to read that there is perhaps a link between the sugar I eat and my hairloss, sometime ago I gave up sugar for a couple of months and my hairloss slowed right down. For the past few months i`ve been very down and eating all the wrong things and my hairloss has increased greatly. I am now even more determined to cut out sugar for good and if the hairloss slows down again I will know that giving up sugar will have to be a long term lifestyle change not just a temporary measure. As my ferritin level is still low I know it`s not the only reason for my TE but it`s obviously not helping. I have even managed to quite like the taste of steak again after years of not eating it so I hope in a few months my hairloss will improve.

Shedding Like Lassie
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom, I've had what I guess to be telogen effluvium for about four months now. Sudden onset with a loss of about 200 hairs every morning in the tub, at first. (I take baths, not showers.) There has been a very gradual tapering off that seems to come in stages, where I'll hit a plateau for awhile and then see a further decrease. Currently that level is at about 90 a morning. I'm guessing it'll take another four months or so to resolve itself. I started a new job in February that brought with it a lot of stress, and about four months later the TE started, which is consistent with the information on keratin.com. But one of the keratin.com articles gave me pause as it said that some regrowth may occur during and after TE. I had been under the impression that all of my hair that has been shedding will come back with time, once it passes the resting stage. Isn't this correct?
My other question is, some of the hairs I lose (which, by the way, don't have the white bulb--not that I can see anyway) are quite short--a quarter-inch or a half-inch. They're dark, not velus hairs. This strikes me as odd. Others are full length--two or three inches. What accounts for the short hairs?
I've noticed no real difference in the fullness of my hair at this point, and as I say the shedding seems to be gradually diminishing. (The stress level of my job has diminished, too, as I've gotten my sea legs.)
Incidentally, the shedding began about the time I started using Nioxin, but I think that must be just coincidence--although for the meantime I have left off using Nioxin.
So, to recap: Do we gain back all of the hair lost during TE, and what's up with the very short hairs in the tub?

Gracias, Tom.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Shedding:

"Do we gain back all of the hair lost during TE, and what's up with the very short hairs in the tub?"

1. All forms of hair loss are extremely complex and that includes TE. If people eliminate the triggers that caused the TE, and now have a healthy life style (good diet, good health habits), the lost hair will probably be regained. The probabilities are good but of course there is no certainty. Psychological stress as a trigger for TE is overrated. I'm sure Kevin McElwee would agree on this.

2. Very short pigmented hairs that fall out usually indicate short cycling. This means that the anagen (growing) stage of the hair cycle is short. A short anagen stage is an indication of male pattern baldness. If the pigmented hairs that are falling out are only an inch long (never having been cut), than the anagen stage for the follicle producing these hairs is only several months long. The usual anagen stage lasts from two to six years.

shawnia
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been losing hair for while now about 6 months..I have now started seeing just a few very short hairs that have no color and they are falling out aswell as my long hair..is this a good sign? bad sign? normal?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Shawnia:

I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign. The only truly good sign will be when your hair starts looking thicker again.

You wrote in the other message you posted today: "I seemed to have all the triggers for TE..." But you've done some studying since then and are now attempting to have a more healthy life style. This is the first step in reversing telogen effluvium. The second step is patience. The reversal of TE often takes a long time.

shawnia
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for the quick response,I think I have new hairs growing in..its kind of hard to tell at this point but it is a boost in moral to think so.I will keep you updated on my recovery and thank everyone soo much for being soo helpful.

shawnia
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

just another quick ? for anyone who has advise...the derm seems to think that my TE was brought on by my crash diet then the loss of Iron due to that diet,he had me on 3 Iron tabs a day at 325 mg each as my serum feritin was somewhere at the very low normal range,(cant believe I forgot what it was as much as this is on my mind) and now is 90 according to what they told me on my last visit,my Iron serum went from 33 to 58 and my Iron saturation went from 9 to 18 ,I have only been taking the Iron pills for about 7 weeks now. I thought getting your serum feritin up took longer than this,and am wondering if I got the right info about what my levels are now as I just didnt think it was posible to raise it that quickly..my main question is ...even with my iron levels up now my hair is still comming out does this mean that wasnt the trigger? should I be looking at other things now?

thanks,
Shawnia

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Shawnia:

It usually takes months to bring your serum ferritin level up to a good number. Your present 90 ng/ml is a good number though. Even if other factors were responsible for your hair loss, keeping an adequate serum ferritin level will quicken the recovery process. But don't expect recovery in a few months. It often takes a year or more for people with TE to see the kind of hair they used to have.

JP
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom
Is there any way to check serum ferritin levels
without the expense of seeking a medical professional.

JP

admin
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

JP:

No, there is not. Take a look at a good book on nutrition like Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis and James Balch. (They're at most libraries.) Read the pages about iron. After reading the pages, analyze your own iron intake. If you are not eating foods that contain iron, you probably have a low serum ferritin level.

shawnia
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was just wanting an oppinion about the use of rogaine for women and TE.I have been diagnosed with TE by my derm and I have done everything possible that I know of to help with this,soooo...I thought why not try rogaine and see if it helps,well..I did, and just for a very few days as my hairloss got worse so I stoped.I was wondering if this was because the rogaine was forcing the hair underneith to grow faster and pushing out the old ones or if thats just wishfull thinking and it just did more harm than good?..does anyone have any advise about rogaine and TE?ohhh,one more thing..if the trigger was thought to be low Iron and you now have your Iron (serrum feritin) up to 90 should the hairloss stop? or would it continue for a bit longer? loads of ?'s I know,but any advise would be great,thankyou for your help and oppinions

Shawnia

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Shawnia:

Some dermatologists think that Rogaine will speed up recovery from TE although it's really not necessary. TE is almost always a temporary condition. Once the trigger is removed (low ferritin level in your case) hair loss stops, and slowly starts to grow back. The problem is the time frame. It can take over a year before you see the kind of hair you once had.

"I thought why not try rogaine and see if it helps,well..I did, and just for a very few days as my hairloss got worse so I stoped."

I like that - Rogaine for a few days.

shawnia
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for the blast of sarcasim,really brightend my day.
Shawnia

Homer S.
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello:

About Telogen Efluvium- Can this condition affect men as well? - I read the Keratin.com pages. Most TE posts are of women.

I am a Man, Early thirties.
My thing is that I do have some MPB- Norwood 2 or so, but my hair is normally very thick and lustrous. What I notice is that I can see my scalp in between my hairs. Much more noticeably now than before... Sometimes when there is direct light above my head you can see the white scalp through. I look close up and open up my hair to see that the part shows separation between follicle and follicle.- On the Top, as well as on the sides of my head... It's very strange because sometimes I feel I am shedding hair, but I dont see a great deal of hairs falling. I see sometimes 20- 50 hairs , only If I look for them on the sink or the floor after I comb my hair.

I dry my hair naturally , combing it and letting it fluff up to a point that I have a very full thick head of hair. But the truth is I have less density all over. It might not be so noticeable beacuse the hair I do have overlaps with each other covering the problem up. The hair is long and it is healthy looking when it's dry it looks better and the scalp is concealed.

I think I have a combo slow MPB + Less Density (TE???) . Of the causes I have seen Emotional Stress, and I had a Viral Fever that lasted over a week back in September.- I clearly remember that My body was achy all over - and I even felt PAIN on my head's hair- (touching my hair would hurt, and I could feel all the hair follicles in pain independently... People couldnt understand when I said "Even my Hair hurts"

When My hair is wet, I can see my scalp too- I feel scared This could worsen.

I know the classic answers are: "Everyone is different", "Results may vary", It sometimes works others doesnt...but
My questions are:
a) Could it be that the hair I notice dull and thin will eventually grow thick as I used to have.
b) Those places where there is no more hair, will pop up with new hairs
c) That in between the hairs, there will be new follicles producing hair again?-

If I comb my hair back, I dont want to see a spread part and a lot of scalp all over. - Im just concerned.- What do you think??

PCT
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. Iam 43, went on the Atkins diet and lost about twenty pounds in 14 weeks. A few months after the loss, my hair began to fall out on the sides and the dermotologist/hair loss expert diagnosed t.e. It began falling out in July and although it seems to have lessened (january now)it does continue. Instead of on the sides of my head, now it's falling out in the back, on top heck it's coming out all over, a general thinning. So, I have two questions. One, since the pattern of where it is falling out from on my scalp has changed, is it still a correct diagnose of TE? And two, it's been thinning for a solid six months now, do most cases ease up after this amount of time? I've lost at least a third of my hair. I'd be happy at this point if it would just stop falling out, even if it never grows back!

Homer S.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I went on reading about TE. As I mentioned on a previous post, Back in September of last year I had a viral infection similar to malaria and the Flu where fevers go on continuously for several days. I had at least 5 to 7 days of fever, controlled with medications it was kept under 40 degrees C- at an average of 38.5 degrees. In december of that same year (2 months later) I have been noticing that my hair has been thinning on top but rather diffusely and my temples (which have receeded with time) seem to be farther back. My hair has been very thin and weak this past month. Those hairs I see fall out are very thin and the little white bulb at the end is very minuscule.

Can I attribute this to be TE?- I read somewhere that
"High fever, severe infection, flu. From four weeks to three months after a person has a high fever or a severe infection or flu, he or she may be shocked to see a lot of hair falling out. This condition usually corrects itself but it may require treatment"

WHAT TREATMENT?- HOW LONG?- Do the follicles that are shedding die?- Will they ever produce thick hair again?-

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Do the follicles that are shedding die?- Will they ever produce thick hair again?-"

If you have telogen effluvium, the hair follicles do not die. Normally about ten percent of the hair follicles are in the telogen (resting) stage of the hair cycle. The telogen stage lasts about three months. With TE, these "resting" hairs fall out suddenly, and the telogen stage of the hair cycle is prolonged way in excess of three months. The hair follicles of people with TE are not dead; they are "dormant."

With healthy hair follicles, when a telogen hair falls out, it is replaced by a new hair in the next growing (anagen) stage of the hair cycle. This happens soon after the old hair falls out. With telogen effluvium these old hairs are not replaced that fast. Sometimes it takes six months or even over a year before the normal hair cycle resumes.

Homer S.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Regarding my Possible TE

1) I have had a continuous hard emotional stress time Since 6 Months ago..

2) I had a Flu like Fever (kept on and off at 38.5-39.5 degrees celsius) that lasted almost 6 DAYS........ 3 months ago

3) In the middle of all this I lost a loved one which added more emotional stress also.... 3 months ago.

I have probably been shedding hair , but havent noticed until now.

To determine if my case is TE - I get a Ferritin Test, a Biopsy???- The History definitely adds up.

I am shedding hair more today than I have noticed before. -

I haver read in other sites and many that talk about TE address WOMEN's Hairloss.
I am a White Adult Male. It still does apply to men doesnt it??

I just want to understand what is happening. If I know that this is just a transitory stage in my hair's life I will not worry as much.-

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Homer S:

By the way, Homer Simpson is a perfect 10 on the Norwood Hair Loss Classification Scale. Even the scalp exercise will not help him.

Most people with TE are premenopausal women. Men also have the diffuse thinning characteristic of TE, but with men it's often hard to make a differential diagnosis between TE and MPB in the early stages of the hair loss. Certainly no one can make that diagnosis on the Internet.

Dr. Schlock
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Homer Simpson is only a 7 on the NW scale. I am putting him on a program of Propecia and Rogaine. I think he will respond favorably.

Cheryl Williams
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

For a couple of years, I have been experiencing shedding (100-150/day) but with new growth (head covered with varying length hairs). I was using Orthocept birth control during this time. In August I switched my pills to OrthoTricyclen on a hunch the little extra estrogen might help the hair loss. I was on the pill for 3.5 months with NO change in hair loss. So on the recommendation of a dermatolgist, I ceased using the pill around Dec. 9. Only three weeks later my hair starting shedding DRAMATIC amounts.... 200-300 per day with no hairstyling, blowing dry etc.. It has continued to worsen and recent bloodwork shows all is normal. The hairs lost are full length with a root/follicle attached. Do you think this could be TE caused by the change in birth control pills 4 months ago or do you think it could be from stopping the birth control pills only a month ago? Any suggestions or recommended steps?

Cheryl

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cheryl:

According to reports I've read, about 10 percent of women experience telogen effluvium after going on or off or changing BCPs. You might be among this select few. Your description of the problem points to that.

Many women report that getting their serum ferritin levels up to at least 70 ng/ml hastens recovery from this temporary form of hair loss. If you're a vegetarian or get little iron in your diet, you might look into this.

Bob
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I need some advice on Telogen Effluvium. (Male - 29) I have read about it and have linked it to a prolonged illness a few months ago. I have read people that shed after a few months of the STRESS episode, loose hair in CLUMPS...

Im not loosing my hair in CLUMPS or HANDFULLS, but I am noticing a rather diffuse pattern and can see my scalp more. I am also receeding on the hairline and temples, but now its more noticeable.

I noticed more shedding these weeks on the sink and on the floor and on my desk, but they are normal thick hairs. They are not small thin weak hairs...

I feel my overall hair look has thinned - although not noticeable to others unless I talk about it . When I say Thinned - I think its more Overall Density of the hair, not the hjair shaft diameter.

My question is: can TE be loosing hairs individually not clumps?- There is definitely something happening because I wasnt like this 6 months ago... and the severe illness I had was almost like a malaria or tropical virus that took me out for 3 weeks- I was very very weak.

Is this TE????

Bob
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello:
I've been looking around for answers and found this site very helpful on TE
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/10836.html

Eric R.
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bob-

It could very well be, but do not stress man, it will all get better with a few months... Try eating a good diet and just relax... It will take time for the hairs to grow back, but if it is TE, then eventually your hair will return back to normal...

Hope this helps you... Hope you feel better!

maria
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i'm 27 years old, just recently about a month ago i notice that i've been losing alot of hair.
I was wondering does anyone know what it could be from.

Maria

Maurice
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HELP ME WITH MY HAIR MATH :
I had a TE Trigger about 4 months ago.
I noticed hair thinning 1 month ago
I noticed some hair shedding (maybe 150-200 /day)

I have been taking Hair Vitaminslike biotin and B Vitamins and using ampoulles to strengthen my hair (zinc, saw palmetto etc- ....) as prescribed by my dermatologist to help meanwhile...NO minox or propecia

Iam also doing the SE's (1 month)

I notice less hairs on the sink now...Seems like shedding has definitely slowed down...BUT I dont see any growth. I still see the thinning hair, specially when it's wet- The scalp is very visible...:-(

So: My Telogen hairs have fallen...Ok...Does this mean that new hairs are comming, and pushed the old hairs out??- I DONT SEE THEM...
TE resolves 5-6 months after the trigger I read...Does this mean the hair will START to grow after 6 months or does it mean that it starts growing on month 3 and becomes noticeable on month 6.

I thought I was going to see a lot of new black spots in my scalp showing hair growth (like a beard)- So far nothing.

What can I expect?-

Maurice
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello.- Been Doing the Scalp Excercises for 7 weeks now. - Although I still get very desperate and dissapointed when I see my thinning , receeding hairline and temples. I am hanging on, but sometimes feel all is just in vain.

I just cant find peace with this problem.- I need help.

bhat
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello

I turned 20 only a few months ago although I have been noticing thinning of my hair for the past year or so. When I say thinning, I mean both the density of the hair as well as the hair shaft diameter itself. I have read about the possible triggers for telogen effluvium - I do not have a great diet, I have lost 20 pounds in the span of two months, and have stress due to midterms and finals.

However, none of these triggers seem extreme in my case to be able to cause TE. My frontal hairline and temple regions are NOT receding. My hairloss can best be described as diffuse thinning.

When I perform the hair-pull test, there are indeed more than 10% falling out. Additionally, my hair seems to be very weak - the hair that can be pulled out requires very little force (but does require some force implying that they are not fully in the telogen stage). I would estimate that I lose around 50+ hairs a day.

I understand that no one can offer a diagnosis over the internet - which is why I have gone to the dermatologist last week and await the results of my blood tests. However, does this indicate TE or MPB?

An additional question: there are no white bulbs on the shedding hair. The root is black and seems to be very small when compared to my facial hair or my memory of previously shed hair.

Any input/advice is welcome.

Tony M.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone. Ok...here's my situation. I'm a 23 year old male who has noticed thinning hair in the last 8 months or so. My hairline is not receding and I'm not getting a bald spot in the back. The thinning area starts about an inch behind my hairline in a decent-sized circular shape and continues back just short of where I'd be developing a widow's peak in a thin, vertical line. Almost all of my hair loss comes when I take a shower or wet my head. If I run my hands through my hair I'll notice about 15-20 thin hairs in my hand. The hairs look weaker and thinner than my hair has always been, but there is almost always a white bulb at the end of the hair. When my hair is wet it's obvious that my hair is thinner in the front and down the middle than it once was, but like I said, the back, sides, and hairline are intact. I get very little, usually zero hair in my hands when I run it through my dry head. I was noticing a decent amount of hair on my pillow, but after changing my sheets about a week ago I have seen almost no hair on my pillow, at least nothing that alarms me. I have very little family history of MPB. I was told my paternal grandfather was going bald before he turned 30, but my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair until his early 70s and my father and uncles all have full heads of hair. I'm awaiting results on some tests from my doctor, but I was hoping some of you might be able to give an opinion on this situation. I can't think of any illneses or traumatic events I've experienced in a while that have really affected me, but I did move from the northeast to arizona about 3 months before I first noticed my hair thinning. Could this climate change be causing TE or am I going to have to accept my fate that I'm losing my hair? Sorry if I didn't explain my situation well, but hopefully someone out there can give me some good news.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Of course you can't get a diagnosis on the Internet, but from your description it does not seem like you have telogen effluvium - "The thinning area starts about an inch behind my hairline in a decent-sized circular shape and continues back just short of where I'd be developing a widow's peak in a thin, vertical line."

I'm not really sure exactly what you mean by this, but if you have "a decent-sized circular shape" of bald scalp, this could mean alopecia areata. A trip to a dermatologist might be advisable.

ingvanbev
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I do loose about a 100 hairs a day. If you are not allowed to stop any of the medications involved, what is the alternative> I am female and am 52 year old. Thanks Ingrid

JR
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 40 year old female....started losing my hair at a rapid rate about a year ago. Many doctors told me it was Telogen Effluvium. This is a "canned" answer they give you when they don't know. I used Clobex shampoo which seemed to slow things down. To be honest, over the counter medicated shampoos work just as well. I lose less hair overall when I wash everyday, my hair is oily. One key thing I have found with regard to hair loss is that you need to be gentle with your hair and scalp. Search for your own remedy..the medical community is lost & quick fix products don't work.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 23 year old female....About a year and a half ago I started noticing that my hair on the top of my head right behing my hairline was thinning. I was very concerned about this since I have always had very lush hair and there is no baldness in my family history. I have now been to two doctors who have performed a biopsy with the results coming back as TE. The one doctor explained that my Birth Control Pills could be causing the TE or the surgery I had about a year ago. I have since quite my Birth Control Pills and have not been on them in five months and there is nothing I can do to help the surgery but time. I understand that these two situations can cause TE but my hair seems to be getting worse instead of better. How long does it take for this to go away or at least start to show signs of improving. I am very concerned and am looking into a hair transplant or restoration. Does anyone know of a time frame for TE or has had their hair grow back? Do you think surgery for my scalp is the way to go? Any answers would be wonderful I feel all alone and as though no one around me can understand what I am going through. I am in emotional pain and need help. Thank You.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

The answers you get for the time frame for recovery from TE are almost useless - 6 to 72 months - 72 months being six years. Most people do recover, though, in less than two years. Six months is too optimistic. But recovery depends to a large extent on good diet - sufficient iron, omega-3 fatty acid, B-complex, and trace minerals. A one-a-day vitamin pill won't get the job done. Nutritious foods are the answer.

"Do you think surgery for my scalp is the way to go?"

If you really have TE, you have a diffuse hair loss - no bald areas. Hair transplant surgery for diffuse thinning is not usually effective. Do a lot of study - and not on hair transplant surgeons' websites - before you decide on this rather poor option.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This page is now too long - too much vertical scrolling. Please post new messages on this topic here - Telogen Effluvium and Hair Shedding - Please Help! page 3.