Female pattern baldness Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Female Hair Loss » Female pattern baldness « Previous Next »

Valerie P
Username: Meldrew

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I realised about 4 months ago that my hair was thinning and eventually was referred to a dermatologist who says I have female pattern baldness. I'd had a very stressful 2 years prior to this happening my mother died under very upsetting circumstances and I had problems at work. My BP went up and I was put on 3 medications Felodipine, Bendrofluazide and Ompeprazole. I also took Meloxicam for a time. My diet was terrible, I was not eating much protein. The dermatologist says the stress and shock has brought on the female pattern baldness early but that it would have happened anyway. I am 61 yrs old female. Does anyone know if these medications cause thinning?

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Valerie P:

I looked up all three of your medications. I did not find hair loss listed as one of the side effects. Of course hair loss is often not listed as one of the side effects even if in fact it is. For example, one of the side effects of many antidepressants is hair loss.

A combination of prolonged psychological stress, health problems, and poor diet can certainly trigger hair loss. Being 61 years old does not help either. I hope your diet has now improved - sufficient protein, iron, omega-3 fatty acids. Hair responds to good diet.

Valerie P

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am seeing a personal trainer/dietician and have lost one stone of weight, I go to the gym 4/5 times a week and am on an eating plan where I have protein for 2 of my meals. I don't use ready prepared meals either. I should also have mentioned that last November I had an arthroscopy on my knee and removal of the plica. I am now fully recovered from this. I have also stopped taking the medications as my blood pressure has normalised. Is there any chance my hair loss will slow down or stop? I have bought a laser hair comb and a hair supplement called NOURKRIN will these help or have I wasted my money? Thanks for help

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3336
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Valerie P:

I wonder what motivated you to get into a healthful routine of living. I hope you stay with it. Two women I know in the Columbus, Ohio area made this same life decision probably about a year ago. I saw them both last night at a ballroom dance. They both look good now. One of these women looks absolutely stunning. Hair quality does improve with a healthy life style. Perhaps your hair loss will stabilize or even reverse itself because of good nutrition - no guarantee of this of course.

"I have bought a laser hair comb and a hair supplement called NOURKRIN will these help or have I wasted my money?"

I don't really know if these products are a waste of money. My uninformed opinion is that they are. I'd like to know your opinion after using these products for a period of time.

Valerie P

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you for your fast response.

The motivation was I had to attend a formal dinner when my son graduated and had to find a dress to fit! I did not want to 'let him down'.

Would you know how many times per week, I need to eat red meat. If I ate liver once and lean red meat once would this be sufficient? Now I have my BP and cholesterol under control I don't want to cause myself other problems.

I prefer to eat white meat or fish but could make myself eat red if it helps my hair, but I wonder if supplements are as good?

I will let you know if I notice any improvement after using the laser comb and supplement.

Thank you

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Valerie P:

I don't eat much red meat either but I do have beef liver about twice a month. There's a lot of iron in beef liver and it's absorbed well. You don't have to have iron in your diet every day.

There's a small amount of iron is certain vegetables too. This iron, though, is not absorbed well.

You definitely don't want too much iron intake. There's the possibility with iron supplements of an overdose. Getting iron by eating red meat is the best way - if you can handle it.

Valerie P

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom, I was wondering if female pattern baldness continues until death? Or does the condition reach a plateau, or slow down, what is the norm?
Valerie

Tom Hagerty

Post Number: 3342
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Valerie P:

If you truly have female pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), it probably will continue until death unless you take steps to slow it down or perhaps (a big perhaps) reverse it.

Have you had your thyroid checked? A rather high percentage of women have hypothyroidism. This condition can cause the kind of hair loss that your are experiencing.

A couple more ideas about iron: For women with any kind of anemia, a diet with iron rich foods is important. But absorption of iron from food is influenced by many things. One important thing is the form of the iron. Heme Iron, found in animal sources, is highly available for absorption; nonheme iron found in vegetable sources is less available. Here is a list of foods rich in heme iron: beef liver, clams, pork liver, oysters, chicken liver, and even to some extent, sardines, and turkey.

Ritchie
Username: Ritchie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Vitamin C boosts Iron absorption as well. Caffeine strips your body of it though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.