Female with male pattern baldness Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Female Hair Loss » Female with male pattern baldness « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hello, I'm a female in her mid thirties and have been diagnosed by my dermatologist as having male pattern baldness. I've lost a lot of hair over the past few years and I'm afraid to take Rogaine because I'm trying to get pregnant. What supplements or natural remedies can i take while I'm pregnant? I'm afraid of chemical treatments will hurt me or my chances of having a normal child, so please advise. thanks.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Usually Rogaine is more effective for treating diffuse thinning in women. It has not been as effective in treating the male pattern baldness your dermatologist says that you have. But if you're trying to get pregnant or are pregnant, most dermatologists don't recommend it at all.

Although Rogaine is a topical solution, it can have a systemic effect. In other words, it can enter the bloodstream. When some women use Rogaine, there can be excessive growth of hair in areas where the Rogaine was not applied, like the forearms, cheeks, legs. This means that as least a small amount of the drug is in the bloodstream.

I haven't seen any articles reporting on adverse effects in pregnant women, but the drug has been found in the breast milk of lactating women. This should be a warning.

"Supplements and natural remedies." I wish I could be optimistic about this area. Of course good nutrition, proper body weight, and exercise are all important, but they won't grow new hair. Read My Approach on my Web site. What I recommend might help you, but then again it might not.

Perhaps you should ask your dermatologist or gynecologist to give you a blood test in order to find out if you have any hormone imbalance. An excess of androgens is often the cause of male pattern baldness in women.

Just one more thing. You should try to gather a lot of knowledge before seeing your doctor. Doctors usually respect patients who ask intelligent questions, and these patients usually get more attention. Here is my suggestion on how to get almost a surplus of facts about your condition: go to Keratin.com. This site has a wealth of information that sometimes is technical but that is always accurate and unbiased.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi tom, i am a 26 year old female with fpb. I
have been reading your approach and as you have
stated there doesnt seem to be evidence that this
works for women. I am willing to give it a go,
but was wondering whether hair loss can increase
from doing these exercises?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

When I wrote that there is no evidence that the scalp exercise works for women, I meant just that. I have only a few testimonials from women that the scalp exercise has helped with their hair loss; I've hundreds of positive testimonials from men. I've also had testimonials from men that the scalp exercise doesn't help at all.

But there is no indication that the scalp exercise could possibly increase hair loss in either men or women. There are no side effects if one does the scalp exercise except the desirable side effect of a firm-looking face.

Maryam
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a female with male pattern baldness. As my doctor have told me the level of Dihydrotestostrone is high in my blood. I've been using contraceptive pills and other hormone pills for almost seven years, but they have not decreased the DHT level in my blood and moreover they have had so much side effects that I have prefered not to use them despite my doctor's decision. Now, my problem is that I'm losing alot of hair and growing unwanted hair on my body ( I had grown unwanted hair on my body before this, but they have become more), and I don't want to go back to hormone pills again, because they have made me so nerveous and depressed and caused me stomachache. Moreover, when I use them, I gain so much weight. What should I do???

Tobie
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom
What do you think of wigs ? Can they damage the hair or follicles?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tobie:

Good wigs cannot damage your hair but weaves and other hair attachments worn over a long period of time can damage your hair follicles.

Tobie
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thankyou Tom
I have been doing the scalp exercises for a month
and although the scalp does not appear to move that much I can feel the muscles contracting.
I can only squeeze the ocipitalis at the same time as lifting the brow.
I have seen how smooth your forehead is but by
it's definition you are wrinkling it?
I don't understand this.( I am using the jojoba
oil.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tobie:

"I can only squeeze the ocipitalis at the same time as lifting the brow."

Several people have made the same comment - they seem to be simultaneously contracting both the frontalis and the occipitalis muscles. When you contract both of these muscles at the same time, there won't be much movement. You have to work at alternating the contractions of these two muscles - then you will see movement of perhaps a half inch.

Once the occipitalis muscles at the back of the head are developed there will be a very slight upward and backward pull on your face. This will smooth out the horizontal and vertical lines you may have on you forehead.

Tobie
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,
ok I will just have to keep trying !. Will let
you know if or when I get it right.

Christine S
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I started doing the scalp exercise because I thought I might have female pattern baldness. After reading some of the posts, I now think I have TE because I am rapidly diffusing all over. I've been doing the scalp exercise for about three weeks now and I think I'm doing it correctly, but I can never be sure. I know you said that it works when both front and back muscles are exercised, but will it also work if just the back is exercised? I ask this because sometimes when I'm driving I do the scalp exercise but I only exercise the back since I don't have mineral oil.

Tom Hagerty
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Christine S:

The muscles at the back of the head, the occipitalis muscles, are the hardest to gain control of. You have evidently gained control of them. Rhythmically contracting these muscles as you drive will benefit the scalp and the hair follicles embedded in the scalp. This exercise will also tighten up your upper face, raise your eyebrows, and make your eyes look more expressive. It's a great facial exercise.

Sometimes, though, you should do the alternate contraction of both the frontalis muscles at the front of your head and the muscles at the back of your head. This alternating contraction produces a greater movement of the scalp. This greater movement will give the hair follicles and the surrounding tissue more stimulation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.