Losing lots of hair Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Female Hair Loss » Losing lots of hair « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm in my late twenties and shedding quite a bit of hair every day. My hair is getting a little thin all over but it does not look bad yet. Several months ago I got off birth control pills. Could that possibly have triggered this hair loss. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When you get off birth control pills the body has to make a sudden adjustment. It has to re-establish normal hormonal rhythms again. The withdrawal of BCPs can be a minor shock that after a month or two can result in telogen effluvium or the diffuse shedding you're now experiencing. Of course, only a dermatologist can determine the specific problem and treatment.

If it is telogen effluvium related to getting off BCPs, the hair loss should spontaneously resolve itself in the coming months with or without treatment. Telogen effluvium is usually a transient form of hair loss. But, as I said, if you're worried, see a dermatologist.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just read that estrogen which converts to testosterone causes hair loss.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Estrogen does not convert to testosterone. Testosterone converts to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which in turn causes certain forms of hair loss. After menopause there is a drop in estrogen levels. Estrogen is an antagonist of testosterone. When the small amount of testosterone produced in women by the adrenal cortex is no longer "challenged" by high levels of estrogen, these small levels of testosterone may now have a harmful effect on the hair.

The endocrine system and the balance of hormones produced and the effect an imbalance may have - these are complex processes. Men and women with too much time on their hands have written thick books on the subject. These few paragraphs cannot even begin to cover the topic.

Carol
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I read that progesterone can convert to testosterone and have some bad effect on a woman's hair. And how about the synthetic progesterone in birth control pills - can this do damage to the hair? I think it's called progestin. I'd appreciate some clear info. Thanks

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Carol:

Progesterone cannot convert to testosterone just as estrogen cannot convert to testosterone. The synthetic progesterone used in birth control pills cannot convert to testosterone either. But this synthetic hormone, which is called progestin, can sometimes mimic testosterone in its effect. The molecular structure of the progestin used in the older types of birth control pills was similar to the structure of testosterone. These progestins could then attach themselves to the androgen receptor sites in the hair follicles and perhaps have an adverse effect on scalp hair.

The progestins in the newer birth control pills have a different molecualar structure and do not fit into the androgen receptors. But if you feel that any one brand of BCP is having an adverse effect on your hair, you can always switch to another brand.

Colleen Van Den Bosch
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can getting permanents cause you to have thinning hair or hair loss?

I am in my seventies and just now experiencing hair loss and it gives me some concern. My hair normally grows relatively fast and I keep it short, but started getting permanents to give my hair body that it doesn't have anymore. Is there something that I can do to have body in my hair without getting permanents ever 2 to 3 months. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Colleen:

Usually the skin gets thinner as we get older. The scalp skin, of course, gets thinner too. A thinner skin often means a more sensitive skin - that is, a skin more sensitive to chemicals used in permanents. Also any chemicals which alter the bonds in the hair fiber will weaken the fiber. I have a friend from Finland with fine hair who had no problems with perms when she was younger. After her last perm she had quite a bit of hair loss and a stinging sensation in her scalp. From now on she has resolved "no more perms" and to have a short hair style.

You want some ideas on how to make your short hair look more robust. I have a lot of ideas but none with scientific validity. Here is the short list:

1. The short-hair option you've chosen is probably the best especially if you're trim. Short hair on fat women is usually not attractive.

2. Use a good conditioner after shampooing. Do not use a combined shampoo and conditioner.

3. I just read an article in Science News - Aug. 25 - that examines the damage sun can do to hair. Especially now that you have short hair, perhaps you should always wear a hat when you go out in the sun. Ultraviolet A is potentially harmful to the hair follicles because it penetrates up to 250 micrometers into the skin.

4. Be careful using dyes. Any chemical action can have an adverse effect on thin hair and sensitive scalp.

5. Use a mild shampoo and don't shampoo your hair every day. I'm sure you don't work in a coal mine or steel mill so you don't have to go through the cleaning ritual on a daily basis.

6. The least scientific of my suggestions: I take brewer's yeast in a glass of orange juice for the B-complex. I also take cod liver oil for the omega-3 fatty acid. Try it. It can't hurt.

7. And don't forget to use plenty of snake oil.

cmd
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it possible for the medication Lasix to be a significant factor in my female hair loss? Thanks

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

CMD:

I answered your question under the other topic you posted to. The answer again is that even though there are several side effects when taking this medication mainly for high blood pressure, hair loss is not one of them.

Kate
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all. My question is about my sudden rapid shedding of hair. I am not on ANY medication, nor have I been ever save for intermittent antibiotics for say an ear infection for example.

I do not process my hair, I don't even use a blow dryer, or curling iron. I brush my hair fairly often, or at least I did before my long, previously thick hair started falling out.

Help! What the devil is going on?

Kate

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kate:

You've given some information about yourself - you are not on any medication and you do not process your hair. This is really not enough information to go on though. But even if it were, it is not ethical for anyone to give a diagnosis on the Internet.

You said you had rapid shedding. My feeling is that you would benefit from reading Kevin McElwee's article on telogen effluvium on Keratin.com. Click Effluviums on the Directory then click Effluviums - Telogen effluvium on the Index Pages.

Even if you decide to see a dermatologist, it is wise to have some knowledge about hair loss and specifically telogen effluvium beforehand. This way you can ask some intelligent questions. Some derms are too quick to prescribe Rogaine for women.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 46 year old female who has been experiencing hair loss for about 3 years. I lost hair while on oral contraceptives many years ago and also after the birth of each of my 3 children which always reversed itself. The shedding has really increased over the last few months to the point where it is becoming very noticible. The hair I am growing now also is very fine babylike hair. The other problem is that my 2 teenage daughters, ages 16 and 19, have started losing tremendous amounts of hair over the last year. It has become noticible on them also. We have seen several dermatologists who basically, have nothing to offer other than 2 woman telling me I have more hair than they do. I don't know where to go for help anymore. I am very concerned for my daughters.

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

You've given a lot of information. If I were a detective I'd be looking for a common cause for the hair loss that you and your daughters are experiencing at the same time, but this would probably not yield anything conclusive. I'll just make a list of the things I'd be looking for.

1. Diet deficiencies - perhaps a lack of vitamins or minerals if you're junk-food addicts. My impression is that this does not apply to you.

2. Crash dieting - maybe you're all trying to lose weight too fast, over a pound a week. This could trigger telogen effluvium.

3. Vitamin excesses - too much vitamin A, for example, can cause massive hair loss.

4. Prolonged emotional stress in the family - not likely, but still something to consider.

5. Thyroid problems - perhaps you're living in an area where the soil is depleted of iodine and you don't use iodized salt. It might be a good idea to get your thyroid checked.

These are just guesses in the dark, long-shot chances.

You've had telogen effluvium before after the birth of your children. This, of course, was due to changing hormone levels during and after pregnancy, and sometimes because of lack of nutrients - the embryo was draining the supply. But this condition resolved itself as TE usually does.

Two things you said, though, make me suspect female pattern hair loss in your case. You said the hair you're now growing is "very fine babylike hair." This vellus hair, along with diffuse thinning, is what dermatologists look for when they diagnose female pattern hair loss.

You also said you were 46 years old. Many women entering menopause experience hair loss in these years because of hormonal changes. The estrogen that used to counteract the small amount of testosterone produced by the female has been reduced. The testosterone now may become converted into DHT which in turn has a negative effect on the hair follicles.

What I wish you would do is rewrite your message giving a lot more detail and post it on Kevin McElee's Discussion Forum. Go to Keratin.com then click on Discussion Forum and post under the topic Diagnosis/Decisions. Other self-styled gurus might post under your message giving you superficial and perhaps misleading answers, but take seriously what Kevin McElee the administrator might say. He will not specifically diagnose your condition over the Internet but he will give you good honest information.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 39 y.o.healthy female who is experiecing rapid hair loss.Do you believe in these natural topical hair solutions that can regrow hair by cleaning and ridding the hair follicle of DHT?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

The short answer is no. The long answer can be found on Kevin McElwee's Keratin.com. On the navigation bar click on "Androgenetic Alopecia - treatment approaches," then scroll to the bottom of the idex to "Spot a Scam." This article says it all.

Devon Drew
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 22 years old, and I have noticed that a lot more hair is falling out than usual,I had thick curly hair but in the last 4 months it has started to thin out. I don't take birth control pills or blow dry my hair or anything like that. But I do have bad eating habbits, I eat almost no fruit, and verry little veggies, I do eat a lot of meat though. I don't take any suplements. I noticed the hair loss one month befor me and my long term boyfriend of about 5 years broke up pluse I had to move out and my job is on the fritz, so I have been under a lot of emotional stress for the past 3 months. But the hair loss started a month befor that. does anyone think it could be female pattern baldness?

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Devon Drew:

A few life-style changes wouldn't hurt if you want to stabilize your hair loss or mabye even get back luxuriant hair. "But I do have bad eating habits. I eat almost no fruit, and very little veggies. I do eat a lot of meat though. I don't take any supplements." That's not an excellent diet for hair or for general health. (Sometimes general health and good hair go hand in hand.) Maybe there are better diet gurus, but take a look anyway at the Dr. Weil Web site. You can get some good ideas here about nutrition. But don't look too long at the Doctor's head. He seems to have a baldness problem.

Emotional stress can definitely contribute to hair loss. Even though your hair loss started before you had problems with your boyfriend and your job, is there a possibility that your stress was building up earlier. I can't give you any advice about interpersonal relations or jobs. I'm "extremely" weak in these areas. But I'm sure you know what has to be done here.

"...does anyone think it could be female pattern baldness?"

No one on this site gives diagnoses because no one here is qualified. But if I were a gambling man (and I am a gambling man), I'd bet that you don't have female pattern baldness. You're too young for one thing and you're not on medication and you're not on a crash diet.

Try to make life choices that ease you out of your stressful situation, and try to eat more nutritious foods. These things might help your mood and your hair.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 32 years old. I have been losing my hair since i was a teen. It wan't noticeable because I had alot curly hair. My mother also lost her hair. I guess I have female pattern baldness. What can I do. I am very depressed. I started somebirth controls 2 months ago and it really made my hair shed. You can see my whole scalp now. Can I atleast regrow the hairs that I lost after using the birht controls which I stopped taking.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone kmow a good birth control pill that does not cause hairloss?

cecileew
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 27 years old and in the past 6 months I have been losing my hair. I recently changed my eating habits(for the better)about 11 months ago. I have lost 40 lbs. Some people say its because of the weight loss but I have been losing it for a while now. I take a daily supplement and vitamins for my hair. I have always taken a supplement and just recently(past 3 months)started taking vitamins for my hair. The hair that comes out has a lighter end with a root on it. I am wondering if this may be temporary because of the weight loss or permanent? I also experienced a move away from home(20 hours away) in the last 3 months. Maybe that is prolonging it. How long does Telogen Effluvium last if you have it? Thanks!

Tom Hagerty (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cecileew:

Your 40 pound loss works out to about a pound a week. That's not too drastic a loss but still it could have triggered telogen effluvium. Was there a lot of stress in that move away from home? Stress can also trigger TE. The optimistic thing to know about TE is that it's not a life sentence. But it can take eight months, a year, or even over a year for your hair to come back. TE is not a permanent condition.

Supplements are OK if your diet is not adequate - try not to get too much vitamin A, though, in these supplements. A good diet of real foods is even better. Maybe you could take a look at my ideas about food and hair - Nutrition.

You didn't mention birth control pills, but sometimes going on or off certain types of BCPs can trigget hair loss. In fact about 10 percent of women who come off BCPs suffer from temporary hair loss.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In March of 1999 I went on a fast, I only ate vegetables, juice and crackers. After I came off the fast I liked the way my body felt and looked. I stopped eating after 4:30 p.m, I ate from saucers small portions. Sometimes I wouldn't eat at all then other days I would eat fries and maybe a chicken nugget. At the end of "2000" I noticed that my hair was getting thinner, to make a long story short the middle of my hairline is gone. I never had problems with my hair until I started eating like that. I started eating again but my hair still hasn't grown back. What can I do to make my hair grow back?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

That diet you started in March of 1999 is horrible. It could very well have triggered telogen effluvium (TE). If you now are on a sensible diet, getting plenty of vitamins, minerals (iron, zinc, copper), and amino acids (the building blocks of protein), your hair should grow back. But the recovery time for TE is usually long - a year or over. You have to be patient. TE is not a life sentence.

Amanda
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 18 years old and am experiencing excess hairloss. It's extremely depressing for me because I WAS known for my red, beautifully thick hair. Now it is extremely thin and barely holds in a pony tail holder. This has all happened in a little less then a year! I first noticed my rapid hairloss around August of 2002. I went to the doctor in October and she suggested Vitamins. I took them and it slowed down the process for a while. Then in October of 2002 I went on a diet and between the time of October and March I lost about 18 pounds. I was taking vitamins the whole time. Now I eat healthy and am no longer on the diet. I am just maintaining my weight, however, my hair is still falling out. It is getting so thin. I went to the doctor and they tested my hormones and thyroid and it all came back normal. When will my hair stop falling out so much? If it doesn't stop soon, i'm gonna be bald! HELP!

Jennifer
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 33 year old and after my niece and my father died two years ago my hair started falling out in hand fulls in the shower. I went to a dermatologist and he told me,"It's not falling out now wash your hair every day and you'll be fine." Well I'm not fine Please help before I go bald!

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jennifer and others:

I'm sure everyone who posts on this forum (and some of the people have expertise in hair loss problems) would like to help you but because your question is not really specific, it's difficult to give a meaningful response. I'd like you to read through some of the pages of Hairloss-reversible.com or Keratin.com in order to get some perspective about the problem of hair loss - and it's a complex problem. Then if you have a specific question or two or three, we'll be glad to help you out. One thing for sure - we know what you're going through. We've been there.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 44 and had a hysterectomy at 23, and I am on HRT (Estratest). I have been losing my hair for about 10 years, which was very thick, not so anymore. The hair shaft that does fall is very thin, and I am losing alot of hair now, approx. 200 or more a day. I have trouble sleeping, and am extremely fatigued, can't lose weight, my skin is dry, and my hair is brittle, and I am depressed. I am wondering if the estratest is causing my hairloss.

karenmalenfant
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am 45, underwent a complete thyroidectomy at 23,parathyroids also removed, a complete hysterectomy/ooperectomy (?) at 42, and currently take Synthroid, Premarin, and calcitrol. My hair has been thinning noticeably for about 8 months. I have read Premarin, thyroid function, diet or stress could be the cause. Not sure if I should see an endicronologist, dermatologist, or what?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Karen:

All the things you mention - especially thyroid function (or lack thereof), severe and prolonged stress, and inadequate diet - can trigger hair loss. There is no way I can give you an intelligent response to your message except to urge you to see either a endocrinologist or a dermatologist. Of course the central question here is how do you find a medical specialist who will spend enough time with you to be able to help you. If he or she justs writes you out a fast prescription for your problem, you'll know you've made a mistake.

If I had a complex medical problem, I'd find a specialist at a university clinic. One often gets more serious attention at a teaching institution. I would also do some focused reading before I made the appointment. Doctors seem to respond with more care to persons who ask intelligent questions based on knowledge they've gathered.

Kat
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

I gave birth 2 years ago and started to have sever hairloss since April last year.I do not medications or abuse my hairs. I eat healthy and take myt vitamins. No mater how many vitamines teh doctor describes I am still loosing between 400 - 500 hairs a day.
I fit the classical symtoms of shedding after pregnancy but that was my daughter is 2 and I have read that it occurs within the first year. Anything i can do. Need some hope, please.

Corina
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

After reading some of the above concerns,is it safe to say that 4-5 months after giving birth your hormones are still a bit "out of wack" and use of a birth control (in my case the "new" patch) can cause your hair to fall out? I just had my second child 4 1/2 months ago and I recall that around the same time after I had my first son, I experienced the same amount of hair loss. I have been contemplating whether or not I should take Hair, Skin, and Nail vitamins, but if it's my hormones, will these help???

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Corina:

When you were pregnant your blood contained high levels of female hormones. After you gave birth those high levels suddenly dropped - "postpartum alopecia" was the result. It's the change in hormone level that triggers telogen effluvium (TE). The hair that's lost by women after pregnancy is almost always regained in four to six months.

A good diet with foods high in the vitamin B-complex, the essential fatty acids, especially omega-3, and iron will be helpful in hastening recovery of luxuriant hair. Hair, skin, nail vitamin pills are OK but they are no substitute for wholesome nutritious food.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

has anyone tried taking saw palmetto extract in capsules? I was recommended that and silica, and after a month my hair loss stopped completely! Instead of 150 hairs in the shower I woould only lose about 15... I have stopped taking silica, and the hair loss is back... I was diagnosed with TE by a dermatologyst, and my blood work has no apparent problems...
Anyone who has any info please contact me by e-mail

noushinojaghi
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i have hair loss about 12 years. it is so difficult for me. i have gone to many doctors but they werent usefull. i mostly lose my hair after showering when i comb my hair a lot of hair stick to my comb. more over recently i eat echophane powder with yougurt. i dont know is it useful for my hair or not. please help me

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Noushinojaghi:

Yogurt, especially if it's not the flavored type full of sugar, is a nutritious food. What is echophane powder? Anyway, no single food will help or hinder hair loss. Hair loss is a complex problem as I'm sure you know after 12 years experience with it.

Tina
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have has tremedous hair loss withing the last 2 weeks. I had my 4th child 31/2 months ago and I this experience of hair loss is much more severe. I have acctual bald spots in the front of my hair. I have read it will stop, but will the bald spots grow hair back?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tina:

Many women after they give birth experience what's called postpartum alopecia. This is a type of telogen effluvium (TE) that is triggered by the sudden drop of estrogen levels. There are usually not bald spots with TE; the hair loss is mainly diffuse. But there are exceptions.

Postpartum alopecia is progressive for perhaps three or four months after delivery. In six months, though, the lost hair is usually regained.

Here is a paragraph from Kevin McElwee's informative website - www.keratin.com:

"Pregnancy involves prolonged hormone levels, particularly estrogen. Estrogen is known stimulate hair follicles and maintain them in an anagen growing state. So in pregnancy the hair follicles are not allowed to cycle as they normally would. The hair follicles are forced to keep active even though they might normally want to have a rest as part of the hair cycle. After child birth the estrogen levels suddenly drop and hair follicles are finally allowed to enter telogen all at the same time."

Beth
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm a 19 year old girl who has been dying her hair for 2-3 years now. My hair has always been very thin but just recently I've noticed alot of long strands fallng out during washing and brushing and throughout the day. And though there are no bald spots I think it is getting thinner. I haven't been through any stress and (as I've been on the pill for three years and have only recently noticed hairloss) I think the problem is probably a change in diet caused by going to uni (I've lost a stone in a year with excersise and reduced fat foods)So I think I'm going to start eating more omeno acids like you suggest. But I just thought I'd ask: do you think it has anything to do with using conditioner or hair serum. I've been scrunch drying my hair for a year now (hoping to reduce the damage caused by heat) but to keep it from getting frizzy I have to use conditioner and serum. (most of the hair loss occurs after putting on the latter) perhaps the use of these products it putting to much weight on the hair? Anyway, thanks for the other advice about TE, I feel better now I know that its probably not permanent. :-)

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think your hairloss might be a combination of the hair serum and hair dye. I think all of these products have caused a TE hair loss. I would try to use less product and go natural for awhile to see if that helps.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beth:

You wrote, "I think the problem is probably a change in diet caused by going to uni (I've lost a stone in a year with excersise and reduced fat foods)"

This is just a suggestion. If your body composition goes below 20 percent body fat, your hormone balance will change - and not for the better. This could have a negative impact on your hair.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a 47 year old female and the other day my daughter noticed a bald spot about the size of a silver dollar piece behind my left ear. I am on Diovan, Nexium, Xnax, Midrin, Crestor, Estrdol, Ibuprophen, And Darvocet. I have also had two tumors and three cysts removed from my hip up to my shoulder. The tumors and cysts were all tested and they all came back normal. Could any of these medications, tumors, or cysts be causing or have caused this bald spot behind my ear? If not, do you have any idea what could have caused this to happen? Also do you have any suggestions about what I should do in order to help or fix this problem?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

I'm used to nice easy problems like pattern hair loss. Dealing with your problem would be like descending into a snake pit. There's a lot going on in your life - eight potent drugs, tumors and cysts, one round bald spot behind your ear. You'll need to get in touch with Sherlock Holmes to sort out this mess.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. I recently started taking a medication called topamax for migraines. I've noticed recently that I have been shedding a little bit more hair. I am not sure if this is just me being paranoid, or if this is the start of hair loss. I have extremley long and thick hair and have always had the tendency to shed quite a bit, but I do know that topamax can cause hair loss. Like I said, I have noticed that I have been shedding some hair these past couple of days,this mainly seems to be when I get out of the shower, and I am not quite sure what the norm is. This could be my paranoia setting in, but I am not sure. If anyone has any help for me I would greatly appreciate it. At the start of hairloss do you experience huge clumps of hair falling out, or is it just a little at a time? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

You're not the only one who has experienced hair loss after starting on Topamax. Go to the various hair-loss discussion forums and type "topamax" into the search box. I'm sure you'll see some interesting results.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:
Thanks. Like I said, I am not sure if I am actually experiencing hair loss or not from the topamax. I have long thick hair, and do tend to shed a lot. Today I seemed to shed about 65-75 hairs, is that abnormal? I have not noticed any thinning at all, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom:
One more thing, I only seem to experience the shedding when I get out of the shower, or when I brush my hair. The hair never seems to just fall out. Thanks again!

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anonymous:

Even though you are not experiencing any thinning you're still shedding a lot of hair. Some people shed a lot but their hair follicles produce new hair fast. The test for hair loss is actual thinning that you can see in the mirror. If your hair looks good I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Do you brush your hair when you get out of the shower? It's not a good idea to brush your hair when it's wet. The hair follicles are vulnerable when the scalp is wet.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This page is getting too long. Please post new messages on this topic here - Losing Lots of Hair, page 2.