More on Them White Bulbs Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Male Pattern Baldness » More on Them White Bulbs « Previous Next »

naqi
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

This post is in reference to a previous thread i had started (Them white bulbs), hmmm perhaps I should have continued from there. Anyway here is an extract from the site : http://www.curebaldness.com/baldnesscauses.html

-------------------------------------------------
The Difference Between Hair Loss and Hair Breakage

One point to note here is the difference between hair loss and hair breakage. Hair that is falling out will have a little white bulb on the end. This white bulb is not the hair root – you can’t lose the root. Rather, it is a part of the hair nearest to the root. Since the active hair root doesn’t come out with the hair, there is always the possibility for new growth.

On the other hand, if the fallen hair does not have a white bulb at the end of it, then the hair is broken. This can be caused by blow dryers, perms or chemical processes. Specific treatment shampoos and conditioners can be used to correct this problem.
-------------------------------------------------

I noticed sometime back, that the hair i was losing would have this 'white bulb' as mentioned in the article. However ,now, the hair i notice that is falling out does not have this 'white bulb'. According to this article it appears the hair that now falls out is 'broken' - what does this mean? I am not saying the scalp exercise has caused my hair to break, what i am trying to confirm is whether the lack of these 'white bulbs' now means that the scalp exercise has , well 'stablized my hair loss'. However, seeing as its really how much hair actually grows back which is supposed to be the best indicator of halting hairloss, is my question nullified? I suppose I should reread those articles on the hair cycle again.

naqi

naqi
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I suppose this helps a bit:

--------------------------------------------------
HAIR BIOLOGY

2a). The white thing is NOT the root, it is the Root Sheath (surrounds the root) - also sometimes called the bulb. The white thing is only present in Growth Stage 1 of hair (the youngest stage).

2b). The part you pull out is the root. The root sometimes has the white root sheath around it, sometimes NOT. Sometime the root will have other things on it, including a black bulb.

2c). If you pull out your hair, you usually can see the root. It looks very different at different growth stages. It
is the rounder part at the bottom - but how round or oval it is varies depending on the growth stage. Sometimes it is so round it looks like an onion with a stalk, where the root is the onion. Sometimes it is so
straight, the root is just the 1mm at the bottom (it is big enough to see). If you see the white bulb, the root is under the bulb, more towards the bottom. Sometimes there are other types of cells attached to the root, which can be different colors, or different textures, some kind of see-through, some not. If you see an "ink spot" at the bottom, that is probably because you also have a root sheath or attached cells looking "white" or "lighter color" - and are seeing the "black ink spot" at the bottom which is just a spot of the root without the root sheath. i.e. like looking at the end of a hot dog (root) sticking out of the bun (root sheath).

2d). Normally, when hair falls out on its own, the root falls out, and the hair grows back completely. You can't damage the root by pulling, because it is gone. The root has nothing to do with regrowth.

--------------------------------------------------

nicky
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Naqi as far as i understand it hair breakage, i.e hair that 'appears' to fall out without a white bulb, is hair which has not fallen out at all but has broken say for example halfway down the shaft.

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Naqi:

Who wrote those three paragraphs you quoted under HAIR BIOLOGY? It's not only a poor writing job, it's a poor analysis of what happens when you see hair on your pillow.

The article you linked to under www.curebaldness.com was pretty good. In fact all the articles on the site that deal with the description and causes of hair loss are good. Segals Solution for hair loss problems - the reason for the existence of the site - is another matter.

Naqi, I don't think that many of the hairs you see on your pillow or in the shower are broken hairs; they are telogen hairs. Some telogen hairs do not have that knob at the end.

Did you notice this in the article on stress in the curebaldness site - "Stress also causes excessive sweating. Abundant perspiration attracts airborne debris and pollutants which clog the follicles. Do you believe this? I don't. I think sweating cleans out the pores. Sweating will not clog the hair cannals.

naqi
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Those paragraphs were taken off:

http://home.intekom.com/jly2/ttmhairgrowth.htm.

Its titled 'Can hair grow back'.

I think your right Tom, I don't think the hairs (that i described previously) that have fallen or appear to fall are broken aswell. Though there isnt a white bulb/knob at the end of them there is a black bulb/knob (blends in with my hair colour), i wonder what difference that makes (a black knob or a white knob)?. I've actually read a bit about 'club hairs' which is what the hair that falls out with a white bulb/knob is supposed to be. But the black - i still am unsure of.

Yeah i did read that bit on sweat-stress. I sweat regardless, in fact as far as sweating goes there are quite a few people in my family that sweat as much as I do, all of them except one , do not have mpb.

Naqi

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I heard if the hair that has fallen has a black tip it means it is a sign of protein-calorie malmutrition.

I don't know what the white bulb means. Mine keep getting larger as they fall out. I think that is a good sign.

d

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't get them white bulbs anymore... and when I did, it was normally at the frontal hair line, during puberty when I was all greasy faced acne like. So I'm not so sure if white bulbs are such a good thing, I always correlate them with a clogged up pore, because that's when I tended to get them.

Now I really take care of my hair and I seldomly get them, I could be wrong of course... since the body changes.

naqi
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thats what I'm trying to figure out myself - 2 different posts - 2 different people.

I never noticed the hair I would lose, so don't really know how often i would lose hair with a white bulb at the end. All I know, is of late, the hair that I do see fall now does not have a white bulb, but instead an almost black end.
I suppose, in the end, its what you grow back that counts.
Just be nice to figure out what the difference is between these two types of hair.

naqi

nicky
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

naqi

did you ever manage to find out the differnce between hair that falls out with a white bulb and hair that falls out with a black bulb?

i only ask because in the last few days i've been noticing that a few of the strands that i'm losing appear to have a black end like those you mentioned. also, this hair appears to be a bit thicker in diameter than the other hair that falls out, only a slight difference mind because all my hair is quite thick

one other thing, is it possible/normal to have a combination of thick hair and finer hair and not being because the finer hair is from weak smaller follicles? i ask this because i know for a fact that before i was even losing my hair i had different types of hair all over my head and a few different colours, some dark brown/black, some brown and some fair which would go quite light in the summer, even the odd (very very odd) gingerish strand.

naqi
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No nicky , I haven't. I do know hair that used to fall out (perhaps a few months back) had this white bulb, well most of the hair did.

On the follicles question _ i'd leave that for someone like Tom or anyone else - unforutunately I don;t know enough to really comment. But logically you've sort of answered your own question by saying you had hair like that when you weren't losing hair.

On the various colours, well I have black hair on my scalp. However, I have stuble on my chin which is gingerish, and some where my moustache would be if i had one. Lucky I don;t have a beard otherwise I'd look pretty funky - a real disco maulvi

Naqi

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I AM FACED WITH SOME OF THE SAME QUESTION'S WHAT EXACTLY IS THE WHITE HAIR BULBS?

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

does anyone know what a black bulb means?????someone has to know!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.