Them white bulbs Log Out | Topics | Search
Hairloss-Reversible Home Page | Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Hairloss-reversible.com » Male Pattern Baldness » Them white bulbs « Previous Next »

naqi
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tom,

I'm sure u've been asked about the white bulbs a few times. However, i was wondering, the hair that i see fall out (lately) no longer has the white bulb at the end of it, in fact its pretty rare if i see any hair thats fallen out have this white bulb at the end of it. Does this mean the end is near? I remember reading on one of these hair forums (not saying anyone was an expert there), that eventually the size of this bulb gets smaller and smaller - which means it gets weaker and weaker, think he mentioned the hair follicles, i cant remember exactly now. just wondering what ur thoughts (if any) are on this .
thanks

naqi

naqi
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ok, as strange as it may sound, i was attending a training and noticed a few strands of hair on my desk which had fallen off the guy sitting in front of me. He, indeed, had a full head of hair. Now when no one was looking, i used a bit of stealth and grabbed a few of them (i was curious). The retrieved specimens showed no white bulbs, being even more curious, i changed by seating to another desk the next day. I found that the hair lying on the table (sort of just waiting for me i guess), had no white bulbs either.
I wonder now why some hair that falls has white bulbs and some doesnt?. Also whether hair that has fallen and has a white bulb is more common for those losing hair? whereas people who are not do not have white bulbs? - I only 'inspected' hair from two different people (without their permission), who were not losing hair - they did not have any white bulbs.

Naqi

p.s forgive me if i have sinned

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Naqi:

Telogen hairs have some of the tough protein keratin wrapped around the end - the part still in the hair canal. This clump of keratin keeps the hair anchored in the canal often till the new anagen hair is ready to replace it. This plug of keratin perhaps mixed with some sebum is the white bulb you're referring to I think.

The anagen hairs, which eventually become telogen hairs, usually have some unpigmented root sheath with them when they are plucked out of the scalp, or when they fall out as they do with anagen effluvium.

This little exercise in definition is skirting around your central concern which is - if the bulbs are getting smaller and smaller, are the hair follicles getting weaker and weaker?

Certainly if most of the hairs that are falling out are thin and unpigmented, it is unlikely that you or that guy sitting in front of you will be happy with the image in the mirror. But I think you have sinned. You are inspecting the hair of strangers too closely.

Debra Manns
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, my name is D. Manns. I am 37 yrs.old and i have been suffering with an itchy scalp, and thinning hair for almost a year now. I have no dandruff with this itch. However at times the itch is unbearable. I do see a dermatologist and every 4 wks. I am given shots in the scalp. I was also perscribed Clobetasol Propianate Foam which I feel isnt helping. I have a bald spot in the top of my head about as big as a 50 cent piece. I notice everytime I comb my hair there are white bulbs on the ends. Can you show me some insite on what is actually happening?

Tom Hagerty
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Debra:

The Clobetasol is just for an itchy scalp; it is not for halting hair loss or for growing new hair. If you read the insert, you may find that you should not use this for over two weeks.

The dermatologist you're seeing gave you shots in the scalp. He must suspect that you have alopecia areata. That bald spot the size of a 50 cent piece on the top of your head seems to indicate that. Of course no one can give a definitive diagnosis on the Internet.

If you're interested in reading excellent articles on alopecia areata, which most dermatologists think is an immune system related disease, click www.keratin.com.

The white bulbs on the hairs that fall out are telogen hairs. Often a massive fallout of these hairs indicates telogen effluvium, but with telogen effluvium there are seldom bald spots - it's more of a diffuse thinning.

Z-Man
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am going through a period of unusual shedding. Although I have a slow mpb pattern, this is rather unusual because I have alot of thick hair on my scalp but its now more diffusely spread now . -

I read about Telogen Effluvium and have linked it to potential triggers 3 months ago.

The hairs that fall out are of all sizes but are maybe 2.5 inches or more. They have dark color and are mostly sharp and thin on the tip then thick and perfectly cut in the end. The hairs dont have a white bulb in the end , nor a black bulb. I read somewhere this should be "breakage". If it were so, I wouldnt be seeing the diffuse spread on top of my head.-
So: is it good or bad that my hairs dont have a bulb?-

If the hairs fell...is it because there is anew hair under it pushing to come out?

Let me make a note of this - My hair, when dry , is very evenly spread out and with added volume, it covers my entire scalp very nicely, and you wouldnt guess I have diffuse thinning. - If you get it wet though, you can see my entire scalp- and that is very unwanted.- This is just to make a point that the hair loss is in a diffused pattern. In the front there is mpb maybe norwood 2.- But this has got to be a TE episode as well which I am hoping to overcome in some time.

jon b
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i've noticed that the little bulbs are at the end of just about every hair that falls out of my head, and i assume this to be normal. i have been doing the scalp exercises for a little over 3 months and have noticed that some of the fallen hairs from my balding temple areas are thin on the end and become thicker the closer to the bulb. does this mean they are going to be replaced by new thicker hairs?

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think (and I could be wrong) that if the hairs coming out have sharp edges and/or thinner than the body, then the miniturzation process has begun. Sorry, my spelling sucks.

jon b
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

well it seems they start out thin but become thcker as they grow more. then they come out after about an inch of growth. i just thought maybe the scalp exercises were making them grow thicker. it's probably wishful thinking.

Anagen
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Short hairs with tapered ends indicate short cycling(they have not been cut) which is definately a symptom of MPB. :-(

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

However i believe its normal to have short hairs with tapered ends that come out from the back of your head near your neck.. it seems the hairs there are thinner normally. e.g i can pull some out now right from the bottom of my neck and to the side and they are tapered at the end... and definately not affected by MPB, so if you find some on your pillow, chances are they could be from the back aswell

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.